December 22, 2010

Best of 2010 - 3rd place: Edgar / A place for myself / LibraryThing

Alright, time for a little paranoia. It's not as though there would be so few clicks on my blog posts, but once again we have a tie, in fact three posts share 3rd place. Couldn't get much weirder than that.

Curious about which famous author you write like?
Well, I certainly was!
I must admit I was a wee bit scared that the outcome might be just plain silly, ridiculous and nothing even remotely like me, which is in fact pretty silly and ridiculous itself, seeing as a computer programm is analyzing your words. Anyway, I wanted an answer and I got one.

I write like

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!


Actually, that's not too bad! Of course I have no idea which authors made it into the pool of choices available in this programm. But as far as the "classics" go, I am not disappointed. That emotion would have set in if the outcome had been something along the lines of Stephanie Meyer. I would have vowed to never touch a pen again. Or maybe I would have sued the creator of the programm. Yep, that's more like me!

Last, but not least:

Edgar Allan Poe (January 19, 1809 – October 7, 1849) was an American writer, poet, editor and literary critic, considered part of the American Romantic Movement. Best known for his tales of mystery and the macabre, Poe was one of the earliest American practitioners of the short story and is considered the inventor of the detective-fiction genre. He is further credited with contributing to the emerging genre of science fiction. He was the first well-known American writer to try to earn a living through writing alone, resulting in a financially difficult life and career.

Source: Wikipedia

-------------------------------------------

"If you write with passion in your own style, you will make a place for yourself." Dean Koontz

Here's to one of my favorite authors.
Dean Koontz

If anyone's writing style left a mark on my own writing it's probably his.
If only just a little bit.
He sure has a way with words.
And so do I.
I might not throw in Golden Retrievers in every other novel, then again, there is one in my first book, so I better shut up.

"A body of work, therefore, reveals the intellectual and emotional progress of the writer, and is a map of his soul. It's both terrifying and liberating to consider this aspect of being a novelist." Dean Koontz

His first novel was “Starquest”, which was published in 1968. About a dozen science-fiction novels followed before he entered the mainstream with suspense and horror fiction.
My first novel is “Josephine”, which will be published this month. About a dozen novels, not necessarily (though very likely) science-fiction will follow before I enter the mainstream …

"But once an idea for a novel seizes a writer … well, it’s like an inner fire that at first warms you and makes you feel good but then begins to eat you alive, burn you up from within. You can’t just walk away from the fire; it keeps burning. The only way to put it out is to write the book." Dean Koontz (Lightning)

Are you raising an eyebrow?
Don't you know that everything you can imagine is real?
Or was that, if you can imagine it, you can achieve it?
I'll take both.

"If God is an author and the universe is the biggest novel ever written, I may feel as if I'm the lead character in the story, but like every man and woman on Earth, I am a supporting player in one of billions of subplots. You know what happens to supporting players. Too often they are killed off in chapter 3, or in chapter 10, or in chapter 35. A supporting player always has to be looking over his shoulder." Dean Koontz (Life Expectancy)

-------------------------------------------

I love to list all my books. In fact I have several lists. Fiction. Non fiction. Sciene Fiction. You get the idea.
This isn't a matter of boredom or the need for a certain order to things. Well, maybe partly. Bottom line has always been that I like to see my books not only physically, but also in a handy little overview. The latter is especially helpful, because due to the sheer number of books I own, I need to arrange them in two rows on shelves or simply keep them in boxes. So a list helps avoiding buying a book twice. Stuff like that can easily happen, maybe not with my fave authors, but it's happened more than just once or twice that I saw a book and somehow it seemed familiar, but I just wasn't sure whether I might have read it ten years ago (and it was now buried in a box in the back corner) or whether I had sometime ago made a mental note that in case I came across this one on a sale I had to have it. It's either working on my memory OR finding the ultimate method of listing.

Having found the website LibraryThing purly by coincidence I immediately knew I'd found the Holy Grail of all book lists. You can add books from 690 sources worldwide, so basically you will find pretty much every book that's out there. Various editions. Different covers. The works.
I started to go through all my pathetic
out dated little lists with their typing errors and let myself fall into the wonderful world of my very own virtual library. And let's not forget the wishlist.
I must admit, after frantically putting one book after the other on my list, I was shocked of suddenly being confronted by the info that the free account only allows an upload of 200 books. Seriously. No book lover will have just 200 books on their shelves. That's basically the tip of the iceberg. I didn't quite dare to read what an upgrade of my account would cost, but the pull of this wonderful site was stronger. 10 bucks a year. Hmmm ... and then I saw that you can in fact choose how much you want to pay. Call me Scrooge, but I went for the "your books are facing eviction" option of $ 1,- ... if this website holds up to my standards I'll reconsider how much I'll pay for a renewal. For the time being I can afford to spend a buck.

Oh and a wonderful little bonus must be that you can sign up for Early Reviewers and request books. Obviously there will be lots of people requesting and not every book will be available in every country, but I think it's a great idea nonetheless. Writing book reviews for Buchrezension, which is the homepage of a friend of mine (come to think of it, I'm a wee bit behind with my reviews - distracted with my list and the heat, I guess), I'm no stranger to letting my opinion of books be heard. Sorry. Be read.

And if you'll excuse me now. There's a list waiting for me to be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment