January 30, 2011

Books Aplenty - Twelve

This week I finished two books, and let's be honest, two is probably the only doable amount of books per week anyway. Apart from the occasional late night reading session with novellas that won't take more than three hours of reading.
I also dared to look at the list for January and it's save to say that a total of twelve books is great for one month. In the long run I hope to read about ten each month, though that also heavily depends on the books themselves. Big heavy tomes will certainly reduce the number, but for now there are still plenty of books waiting to be read that won't get over 400 pages.
The only pity is that I really have to catch up with my eBooks. If only they were as easily readable as an ordinary book. Just thinking. Is purchasing an eReader a necessity? I'd say yes. Ha. Oh well. As long as it's manageable to read stuff on the computer I will not invest in one. Nuff said.

I read The Quotable Chesterton (Kevin Belmonte) this week and while it is really more a book that you should taste in pieces and not in one go – though that “one go” lasted five days for me – as it's been hard for me to put down. A collection of quotes from his various works divided into quite a number of themes, like theology, apologetics, satire/wit, literature, and journalism, it is an essential A-Z compendium of his ideas. While the book is great I was a bit disappointed by the short essays about Chesterton, as they did not offer any deep insights into the man's thought and character, but were merely bridging one quote to the next.

And on to some lighter reading, or so I thought. Instructions For Visitors (Helen Stevenson) is a memoir of the writer about her time living in a small town in France. Ever read a book you were totally torn about? Were you just couldn't say whether you liked it or not? This is such a book for me. The story, as fleeting as a summer breeze, didn't draw me in at all. Neither her description of the town and its people, nor her life in the village or her affair with Luc. On the other side though, after getting used to her inability to divide her thoughts into paragraphs which I found a bit annoying, I found myself confronted with such beautiful wordings with which she put scenes on paper that I often just lingered with a particular phrase for a while, not really caring for the rest of the story. So, this has been a weird reading experience for me. A story that gave me nothing, but lots of gems of the written word.

On to the books I added to my book stacks.
And, lo and behold, it's only one and it's (again) an eBook namely Speak To Our Desires (Brenda Clough) which I received through the Early Reviewers giveaway on LibraryThing.

No comments:

Post a Comment