January 7, 2011

The Others - Rick Castle

This week I'd like to take you on a trip to the maybe not big screen, but screen nonetheless. It really depends on how big your TV is anyway.

Today new episodes of Castle are going on air, at least where I live, so what better moment to talk a bit about the mystery fiction writer Rick Castle. But, as is the case with many a writer, this is just his pen name. He was born as Richard Alexander Rodgers, but changed it to Richard Edgar Castle when he became a writer. Edgar in honor of Edgar Allan Poe. Oh, I love this tidbit. If only, because I allegedly write like Edgar myself.

The interesting thing about the series is that there are indeed books by Richard Castle. Imagine my surprise. Not as though the series would really need that extra bit of publicity, because it's just so much fun to watch anyway. Great premise, great cast, witty dialogues. Couldn't ask for more. Or could I?

As a promotion for the show, quite obviously, the novel Heat Wave has been released in 2009, and Naked Heat followed in 2010. Both have been ghost-written by Derrek Storm.

Frankly, I don't think I'm adventurous enough to actually buy one of the Rick Castle books. As much as I feel that movies based on books will almost always disappoint you, I feel just the other way round in this case. If anyone disagrees in this particular matter, go ahead and tell me about those books. I'm totally willing to give it a try if someone can wholeheartedly recommend them to me.

But back to the basics. The Friday feature is about all kinds of writers after all. And Rick Castle is one.

First, I want to do research like that myself. Including that cool bulletproof vest with the word “Writer” on it.

Secondly, I wouldn't mind being teamed up with a sassy but gorgeous police officer. Research or not. Ha.

But seriously, I think they'd, depending on the mood the officer in charge at our local police station is in, either kick me out or put me in a straitjacket.

Heading off to the coffee shop for a bit of one-on-one time with good ol' Rick.
How good does that sound?

No comments:

Post a Comment