January 29, 2011

Pajama Musings - Pillow Talk

On a frosty day like today it's quite easy to stay inside and curl up with a good book and a hot cup of tea. But it's also a good time to curl up and indulge in an old movie. And a hot cup of tea. That one is obligatory.

While, to some, it won't make a big difference what they're watching I am a strong defender of old movies when it comes to cold and gray afternoons that just don't invite you to take a stroll through town. Those days might be ideal to jump into the car and drive to the cinema to see the latest blockbuster, but not for me. I'd rather hole up in my bed and pop in a DVD that'll send me back into the good old times. And no it doesn't matter whether it's a Hitchcock or a Doris Day movie. That's just a question of whether you'd rather enjoy something thrilling or something romantic on the particular day. If you want both, just watch her in the Hitchcock movie The Man Who Knew Too Much. Though, knowing me, I'll go for a Doris Day comedy most of the time.

If it isn't evident by now, I'll let you in on a little secret. I absolutely adore Doris Day movies. And even more precisely, I love the movies with her and Rock Hudson.

My favorite? Pillow Talk.


I swear, I can watch that movie every day and not grow tired of it. That might be considered slightly, or not so slightly, obsessive, but I don't really care. The shocking thing about it is probably that I only found out recently that Doris got an Academy Awards nomination for her part in the movie, and even more so the movie won in the category of Best Screenplay. Now that is not surprising …

[Jan and Brad are on the phone discussing a phone schedule]
Jan Morrow: We're just going to have to live with each other ...
[Jan pauses, waiting for a response]
Brad Allen: Well?
Jan Morrow: I was waiting for you to say some off-color remark.
Brad Allen: Is that all you have on your mind?
Jan Morrow: Never mind my mind! You just stick to your half hour and I'll stick to mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment