January 13, 2011

Review - The Frugalista Files (Natalie McNeal)

This book couldn't have come my way at a better time. After my resolution to live frugally in 2011 I certainly saw it as a sign having the opportunity to read The Frugalista Files which promised to be a real-to-life Becky Bloomwood kind of read.
In diary-style entries Natalie McNeal writes in a both witty and open manner about how her personal need of a frugal lifestyle – due to being buried under loans and CC debt despite a steady income – developed from a one-month project at the newspaper she worked for, into her very own website over the course of a year.
While it has been an enjoyable, in places even delightful read, I'd like to point out that the emphasis here isn't so much on the frugal lifestyle as it is on the author's brainchild “The Frugalista Blog”. You could say that this book is more about Natalie finding her place career wise than about reducing her debt. Obviously there will be talk about just that and the odd tip on how to safe money too. But fear not, because all you need to do now is head over to thefrugalista.com for some up-to-the minute frugal insider tips!
In short: Not quite what I expected, this is overall a good read that makes you reconsider your spending habits and lets you catch a glimpse into the newspaper industry too.

3/5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the NetGalley.com book review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment