February 19, 2011

Pajama Musings - The good, the bad, and the ugly

Those who know me are well aware of what I think about movies bases on books. Most of them suck. In some cases literally. Not as though I would have actually read one of the Twilight books, but I did see the first part of the movies and maybe the book is better and maybe I don't really want to find out if that's the case.

While contemplating books that made it to the big screen and those who were adapted for TV, I realized that I own quite a few DVDs that qualify for either one. And to be honest, there are some great ones and some that never made it into the DVD player a second time round.

Here goes ...
A Christmas Carol
Confessions of a Shopaholic
Garfield – The Movie
Hideaway (Dean Koontz)
Hogfather (Terry Pratchett)
Marley & Me
Phantoms (Dean Koontz)
Planet of the Apes
Pope Joan
Red Dragon
Roots
Schindler's List
Servants of Twilight (Dean Koontz)
Stand By Me (Stephen King)
The Color of Magic (Terry Pratchett)
The Color Purple
The Constant Gardener
The Da Vinci Code
The Stand (Stephen King)
Watchers (Dean Koontz)

I hope I didn't overlook any – and I swear I'm not hiding anything related to vampires or wizards in my DVD stacks – but even if I did (overlook, not hide, mind you) I am actually a bit surprised that I own so many books-gone-movies. And even more so, there are quite a few that are really bad. In a lot of cases though, and even I have to admit that, the movies really do the book justice or they are at least very entertaining.

That said I'll let you be the judge of which books-gone-movies deserve to be called good, which ones are bad and those that are plain ugly. There are certainly a lot of great ones which I might not own but which are fantastic to watch, and even more so, those which I wouldn't watch if you paid me good money for it.

Personal side note: While I never really got into Stephen King novels, the film adaptations of his books are actually ok; and as much as I love Dean Koontz' novels, the movies that were made of some of them are just real bad. But I'm not giving up hope yet. Maybe one day I will watch a brilliant adaptation of Odd Thomas ...

1 comment:

  1. Oh teh Twilight books are much better than the movies!
    So far I haven't liked any of the adaptions of Stephen Kings book to movie except perhaps Stand By Me.
    I do think the Harry Potter movies came closest to be as entertaining as the books

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete