February 12, 2011

Review - Bottled And Sold (Peter H. Gleick)

While traveling abroad I often drink bottled water, usually due to the fact that the water from the tap tastes like liquid chlorine or like swamp water. Living in a country with one of the best water quality worldwide you should think I don't drink bottled water at all back home. I rarely do and now, in fact, I'm glad about it.
With his book Bottled And Sold: The Story Behind Our Obsession With Bottled Water Peter H. Gleick gives a fascinating insight into the whole industry of bottled water production and its implications on frighteningly many aspects of our lives. Apart from the obvious, the impact on the environment, it definitely makes you think twice whether you shouldn't just stick to good old tap water when you learn that more stringent quality tests are performed on it than on bottled water.
This is a very comprehensibly written must-read book on the topic, highlighting not only environmental, but even more so, safety, health, and ethical concerns when it comes to the bottled water industry. While the main focus is on the US, the author also dips into and compares the industry with other regions, like Europe or Australia. Trust me, after reading this book you're going to seriously reconsider your drinking habits when it comes to water.
In short: A well written and highly informative book on the hazards of bottled water for both the environment and those who drink it!

4/5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the NetGalley.com book review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment