February 12, 2011

Review - Ravenous (Dayna Macy)

Food can be a lot of things. Delicious. Nourishing. Yummy. But food can be much more than that. It can be protection, comfort, pleasure, and love. Like in Dayna Macy's case.
With her memoir Ravenous: A Food Lover's Journey From Obsession To Freedom she offers a downright honest look into what food meant and means to her, from early childhood up to the present. Admittedly this book wasn't quite what I expected it to be, starting off with a praise to different foods, which made me think that “Know Thy Food” would probably have been a more appropriate title. Slowly, the author then embarks on a journey to uncover the origins of her food obsession, starting off with the foods she loves, moving on to the exploration of food production (which was actually my favorite part of the book), and moving along to knowing and appreciating what you eat. And let's not forget that she even throws in recipes at the end of each chapter, which are celebrations of food in itself.
A vivid and beautifully described exploration of her eating habits and their roots, this book is wonderfully engaging as far as a memoir goes, but it also lacks deeper insights into the psychological aspects of food obsession, which, in my opinion, would have definitely moved the book from average to great.
In short: An honest read, an easy read, and unexpectedly delicious!

3/5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the NetGalley.com book review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I grabbed this one free yesterday on Amazon :)

    ReplyDelete