April 23, 2011

Pajama Musings - Who the hell is Anton Yelchin!?

Alright, alright, I googled the name, and hey, I do know that guy after all. He played the part of Pavel Chekov in the latest Star Trek movie and Kyle Reese in Terminator Salvation. Okaaaaay!

But maybe I should start at the beginning. I introduced you to one of my favorite authors, Dean Koontz, in yesterday's feature, and admittedly I've been spending some time browsing around on his website too. Well, remember that last paragraph? The one about my opinion on movie adaptations of Koontz' books? If not, you might want to go there and read it right now.

So, now that we've established that I'm not particularly excited about all of those books-gone-movies, take a wild guess what my reaction was on finding out that my favorite Koontz' novel Odd Thomas is now making its way onto the big screen. Well, truthfully, I was (and still am) torn between sheer horror and ecstasy. After all we are talking about a fantastic book. And a long line of lame movie adaptations preceding it.

I had to laugh (a bit, because then I frowned) when I read what Dean Koontz said about the project on his website, "I generally don’t weigh in on film adaptations in progress. I’m usually full of fear that they’ll go badly wrong." Uh oh, this doesn't bode well ... but he continues, "Not this time. [...] The script is a spot-on, blow-out-the-walls, edge-of-your-chair, emotionally moving, thrill-packed, dazzlingly fresh, in-your-face, stunningly structured, absolute masterpiece that reinvents the tentpole picture by giving it meaning beyond spectacle and heart that should make it the biggest damn date movie ever." I'm still not sure whether I should be relieved now.

Obviously I am going to follow the progress of this movie project. The film's release date will be sometime in 2012. And so far it looks like Anton Yelchin will play the part of Odd Thomas, the short order fry cook with a connection to the after life, Addison Timlin is said to play the part of his girlfriend, Stormy Llewellyn, and William Dafoe is in for the part of police chief Wyatt Porter. No word yet on who's going to play Elvis. Yes, Elvis. The Elvis.

No comments:

Post a Comment