April 27, 2011

Review - 50 Jobs In 50 States (Daniel Seddiqui)

In our current economy it seems a good idea to think outside of the box when it comes to looking for a job. This is exactly what Daniel Seddiqui did by bringing his dream of “living the map” and his desperate search for a job together. Looking for the quintessential jobs, best representing the culture and economy of each state, Daniel soon set out with nothing more than a Jeep Cherokee and the wish to make it through 50 Jobs In 50 States in only a year.
Apart from this being an awesome idea, I found it amazing how much energy Daniel put into this project, which certainly wasn't the easiest to begin with. Whether working as Vegas Wedding Coordinator in Nevada, Cheese Maker in Wisconsin, or Race-Pit Crew Member in Indiana, this journey taught him a lot about perseverance, risk-taking, adaptability and networking. And while the book is focusing on economy and the search for jobs, I found it to be a fascinating read from a travelers perspective too.
Admittedly I could have done without the passages about Daniel's relationship and dating life which did not fit the whole theme of the book. And, in my opinion, the book was a bit amateurishly written and not as polished as I would have wished for. Yet I want to point out that the idea alone more than made up for this.
In short: An inspiring and different kind of journey through the US!

3/5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the NetGalley.com book review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment