April 4, 2011

Review - The Tao Of Travel (Paul Theroux)

I have a confession to make – the reason why I wanted to read The Tao Of Travel was simply because I love traveling and I love writing. To find these two themes in one book lured me in and admittedly I started reading with a slightly more critical eye than I usually do.
One of the best known travel writers of our time, Paul Theroux, takes the reader on a wonderful tour of the genre in this collection of not only his own, but of other writers' works, ranging from the well-known, such as Mark Twain, to the underappreciated, such as Samuel Johnson. While it's usually risky to compile such an anthology without making the result look like a wild and inconsistent mix, this one is an utter delight.
This great compilation of quotes and excerpts dips into themes like railway travels, travelers who never went alone, traveling as an ordeal, and even imaginary journeys, and it is seasoned with travel wisdoms by people like Freya Stark and Robert Louis Stevenson. Apart from being a wonderful book that is not only a philosophical guide, but also reminiscent of the early days of ethnological works, it literally made me want to grab a notebook and hop onto the next train to a far away land. I expected a lot when I first opened this book and I got more than I could have ever asked for.
In short: This work belongs on every travelers bookshelf. Delightful and profound!

5/5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the NetGalley.com book review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

1 comment:

  1. Just finished A Dead Hand and am officially hooked on this man's writing. This review is encouraging and it appears to be a must read for me. Thx

    ReplyDelete