May 27, 2011

The Others - Jane Austen

Show me just one girl who's not looking for her very own Mr. Darcy ... even fiction heroines will do so occasionaly, such as Emily in Me And Mr. Darcy (Alexandra Potter) and of course there are countless more, but this particluar one is the only one I actually read.

Apropos reading, and you better brace yourself for I have a rather shocking confession to make *cough* I haven't read any of Jane Austen's novels in my life. Not even the one with Mr. Darcy. I saw one or two of the movie adaptations though, does that count? Probably not. Though before you turn away in disgust, I own all six of her books and they are quite savely on my TBR stack. This must count for something, right?

Jane Austen was an English novelist famous for her books of romantic fiction, set among the "landed gentry", and written with both realism, a touch of parody, and biting social commentary. And, to get back to good old Mr. Darcy, her plots usually highlight the dependence of women on marriage to secure social standing and economic security. She has certainly earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature and is still, apart from yours truly, widely read today.

Sense And Sensibility has been the first of her books to be published, though initially it was written under the pseudonym "A Lady". This, along with Pride And Prejudice, has certainly been one of her most popular books, back then in the 19th century as well as today. Dying young, her novels Northanger Abbey and Persuasion were both published posthumously, and a third book, which was titled Sanditon, was never completed.

While I obviously can't give my opinion on any of Jane's books, there are not only a lot of people who praise her books to the skies, there are also those who, well, have quite a bit of a dislike for her novels. Like Mark Twain.

Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone.
Mark Twain

I guess Mr. Darcy never grew on him. Or Elizabeth Bennet, for that matter.

4 comments:

  1. I've never read Jane Austen either! Unlike you, I don't own her books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had watched every Jane Austen movie I could get my hands on for years and decided to finally bite the bullet and read Pride and Prejudice to get the "full story." I am a fast reader and it took me 3 weeks to get through! Other than the last 2-3 chapters, it was almost identical to the A&E Colin Firth version. Like word for word identical. I felt a little cheated at the end. I could have just watched the long version and read the last 3 chapters and been fine! I still love all her works, but I prefer the movie versions now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I was scared that people would start ripping my head off for not even having read one single Jane Austen novel ... and now, of course, I do wonder if I should just stick to the movie adaptations. Oh well, one day I will be brave enough to actually read one of her books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't matter that you didn't read her books. As long as you have seen Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy you are all set.

    ReplyDelete