May 13, 2011

The Others - Tess Gerritsen

Several years after reading two of Tess Gerritsens earlier novels I happend to come across The Apprentice, part two of her Rizzoli & Isles series. I don't really know why I never read more of her books, because they certainly weren't bad, but somehow it never seemes a priority to replenish my ever growing TBR stacks. Now though I had a mission. Hunting down the rest of the series.

Being a former physicist, Tess certainly knows a lot about the trade and this consequently makes for believable writing in her medical thrillers. Her two distinctive female characters, police detective Jane Rizzoli, and medical examiner, Dr. Maura Isles, are in the meantime solving their ninth case in The Silent Girl which will be out this July. But apart from the book series, these two have also made it to the TV screen on TNT.

Personally I haven't seen any episodes of Rizzoli & Isles yet which is mainly due to the fact that the series hasn't made it across to Europe so far. Given the chance I'd obviously want to watch it ... if it weren't for the fact that Maura Isles looks so completely and totally different from what I imagined from the books that I'd first have to come to terms with this character/actress match. No idea whether I'm alone with this notion, and obviously it doesn't mean the series sucks (after all I haven't seen it yet), but it seems just so, well, wrong, if you know the books.

For all of you who only know the book series about Rizzoli & Isles, you might also want to check out some of her stand alone novels such as Life Support which is a medical thriller, or - on of my personal favorites - The Bone Garden, which is part medical thriller, part historical romance. Plus, as an interesting tid bit, Maura Isles makes a cameo in this one too. Tess Gerritsen has also writen a few romantic suspense novel earlier in her career as a novelist, but those never really tickled my fancy. Though if you love the genre of thrillers, especially those with a medical theme, I can only recommend you try out on of her books.

No comments:

Post a Comment