May 18, 2011

Review - I'm Kind Of A Big Deal (Stefanie Wilder-Taylor)

The kind of humor that stand-up comedians throw at the audience can be anything from hilarious straight to way over the top. Being usually weary when it comes to the not always laughter inducing shows, I had no idea what I'd get myself into with I'm Kind Of A Big Deal.
In her book Stefanie Wilder-Taylor reflects on how she became a writer and comedian and she does so in a very convincing and most of all self-deprecating manner - in parts absolutely funny, then downright serious. The essays mainly focus on her career path starting early on in her life, but also dip into a private life which has been full of struggles, be it alcoholism or the relationship to her estranger father. Very open and honest, this book made for an unexpectedly interesting read that will entertain fans of Stefanie as much as anyone else. Yet I felt that some parts didn't quite fit into the general theme of the book, such as the open letters to celebrities which disrupted my personal reading experience a bit.
While I admittedly didn't know anything about the author, other than the short blurb the book provided, I was glad I have given it a try. It becomes quite clear why Stefanie's spot on observations and wry wit made her a successful author over the years.
In short: A funny and at the same time touching insight into the world of a comedian!

3/5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the Simon & Schuster Galley Grab book review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment