May 9, 2011

A Writer's Life - The non-fiction reviewing front

Like most other book bloggers I am reviewing a fair share of books on my blog. While most bloggers seem to focus on all kinds of fiction, with a heavy emphasis on YA novels, I am one of those rare creatures who specializes in non-fiction reviews. That's not to say I don't read fiction, because I do, but as far as reviews go I decided to go for non-fiction, with a bit of science fiction and dystopia thrown in for good measure.

Why I chose non-fiction? Hmmm, I honestly don't know ... it just seemed like it fit my blog and at the time I started book blogging I wasn't even aware of the fact that there aren't that many non-fiction reviewers out there. Imagine my surprise when I realized that my blog-hits would skyrocket whenever a new review goes up. Mostly it's been people who searched for a certain book on Google which made their way to The Book Garden and when I checked one or two of the books myself I was stunned that they appeared (almost) right on top in Google Search. I can only assume this is partly due to the fact that non-fiction reviews are few and far between. So yes, apart from getting a lot of page views for giveaways, I was amazed how many views my reviews received. My Business Is To Create (Eric G. Wilson) has been on top for months before a giveaway hop finally outpaced it. In fact, if I look at the list of the top ten blog posts of all time, there are the inevitable giveaways and five reviews huddled between, which quite frankly isn't bad at all. On the contrary, I think it's impressive.

I don't know how "popular" reviews on other blogs are and how many page clicks those get, but feel free to comment about your own experiences, because I'm certainly curious about them.

Oh, and in case you know of other book bloggers who review non-fiction, please share. I do know a selected few bloggers who will post non-fiction titles every once in a while, but all in all it feels mighty lonely out there on the non-fiction reviewing front.

No comments:

Post a Comment