June 15, 2011

Beyond the Shelf - Simon & Schuster Galley Grab

Earlier this year I introduced you to BookSneeze and NetGalley as great sources to receive books of choice for review. Especially when you're not living in the US it's hard to get your hands on ARCs, so I'm always on the look-out for publishers and/or websites who provide review copies for international book bloggers. And I recently found one, namely the Simon & Schuster Galley Grab program.

A bit differently designed, compared to sites like NetGalley, here you don't get to choose your galley straight away. First of all you need to sign up and it takes up to two days to get approved. In my case I already got the confirmation the very next day. Then I had to wait a little. Simon & Schuster will send out monthly newsletters and those are the door to a bounty of eARCs. Don't let the whole "eGalleys are sent out by invitation only" thing confuse you. This really refers to the newsletter and when your application got approved, receiving the newsletter is basically the mentioned "invitation". You will only have access to the books of your choice through this newsletter, so you better not delete it.

Important to know are two more things.
- Unlike NetGalley you don't get to read books for 55 days with the option to download the book again in case you didn't manage to read it in time. Here books will only be readable until the publication date of the book. This can be anywhere between a month or two. So you need to have a eye on that time frame to read galleys before they expire.
- After registering you'll probably excitedly go to the download page and click to get a download. What will happen is this: A random book will show up and start downloading just to tell you that it has, in fact, expired. Don't ask me why this happens, all I know is that with the newsletter things will work without a problem.

7 comments:

  1. I've signed already couple of weeks ago, but haven't received the newsletter. Do they send it once a month?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They seem to send it rather unregularily. The previous ones were sent out April 29th and May 17th, so the one for June should be out real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for explaining, I was wondering about the "invitation" bit. In fact, it's not for me (yet) as I don't have an e-reader and reading on the laptop is just not handy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has anyone gotten the June one yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope - and it's about time they send it out, I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this explanation. Was really confused until I came back and read this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for explaining. I was curious about the whole expired thing. Thought I broke something already!

    ReplyDelete