June 7, 2011

Quote Garden - How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.

It is only a novel ... or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language.

I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

I don’t think I ever opened a book in my life which had not something to say upon woman’s inconstancy. Songs and proverbs, all talk of woman’s fickleness. But perhaps you will say, these were all written by men.'

I shall not pity the writers of history any longer. If people like to read their books, it is all very well, but to be at so much trouble in filling great volumes, which, as I used to think, nobody would willingly ever look into, to be labouring only for the torment of little boys and girls, always struck me as a hard fate; and though I know it is all very right and necessary, I have often wondered at the person's courage that could sit down on purpose to do it.

By Jane Austen

2 comments:

  1. Hey there, thanks for stopping by my blog, following, and entering the epic giveaway. I came by to follow back, you have a very pretty blog. Good luck =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and welcome to The Book Garden!!

    ReplyDelete