June 13, 2011

A Writer's Life - Ten inch nails

This might seem like a bit of a weird topic, but as writers will usually write on their computers these days (at least I do) I often marvel at how some people can type with long nails. And I mean, really looong finger nails. Personally I keep my nails short most of the time and I usually only remember to cut them when typing starts to get a bit annoying. After all I need to hold my hands and fingers a bit differently as compared to my short-nail-stance and truthfully, I prefer not to bend my hands in an awkward way so as to avoid using my nails to hit the keyboard. Luckily I never broke a nail while viciously attacking the keyboard during a full fledged writing frenzy as my nails are pretty strong. Yet even more importantly, I don't want to develop RSI (repetitive strain injury) because I'm forced to use the flat of my fingers instead of the tips. It's true. I'm not making this up. When you adapt the flat-finger position, you compromise the structure of your hand, which results in discomfort over a period of time. Some people don't seem to mind or experience it, but my fragile lil' hands do. Thus ... short nails. It also makes for faster typing, trust me.

Those of you who have long nails, how do you handle the typing efficiently?
Do you force your kids to type for you while you recite your latest ideas to them? Or do you simply put on three extra layers of nail polish to harden your nails so they will survive the ride over the keyboard? Maybe you practice the long-nail-typing in a workshop? There are workshops for so many strange things that can be learned, I wouldn't be surprised if there was one for just that too.

1 comment:

  1. pahahaha! maybe they type at the top bit of the key's so that their nails dissapear into the little holes between each key?

    ani
    http://thenovelnavigator.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete