July 17, 2011

Books Aplenty - Trees died for this

After realizing that I've almost exclusively been reading eBooks (all for review, but still) in the past few weeks, I decided it's time for a change. There is this huge stack of books next to my bed with all kinds of novels I've been dying to read for ages. The dust already settled softly on them, which is (probably) bad karma too. So I devoured a whole lot of real, physical books, giving my arm muscles some workout. It's actually pretty pathetic that reading a hardcover seemed kind of strenuous. That thing sure was heavy, or shall I say, heavier than my eReader, eeek!?

As the following books have been discussed a million times before on other blogs (see, I told you there was dust on that book stack), I will keep my thoughts about them brief. Just a little bit of rambling how I liked them and whether they live up to my expectations after having been hyped by the media.

I loved so much about Across The Universe (Beth Revis) that it's almost a shame to point out the flaws. Seriously, no one realized that the allegedly dead Elder is still around? You've got to be kidding. And the Season was quite hard to take too. It makes sense and all, but this is a YA book and even I, as an adult, felt it was just too much.

I Am Number Four (Pittacus Lore) was a good, solid sci-fi novel, which I can well imagine to work great as a movie (which I haven't seen), but as far as the book itself goes, it's only an ok read.

The Replacement (Brenna Yovanoff) took me by surprise. Dark and sinister. And everything from the narrative to the setting fit this eery mood. It's not the kind of book I usually read, but I loved it!

XVI (Julia Karr) is yet another dystopian novel I couldn't wait to read and while it wasn't bad I would have expected more explanations on why things are the way they are.

Not many new books this week which is good seeing how my TBR stacks are out of control already. Of course it doesn't show quiet as obviously when you only stack books on your eReader, but still.

I received That Day In September (Artie Van Why) for review from the author.

And I've won an eBook copy of Unloveable (Sherry Gammon) at Book Passion for Life.

My smallish but sweet IMM post will follow shortly!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read XVI yet, but I really want to. There's supposed to be a sequel so maybe that's where all those loose ends will be tied up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far,I read one on my Nook, then one physical book. While I'm reading the physical book, I use my nook to play games. :)

    ReplyDelete