July 8, 2011

The Others - Dave Barry

The first book I ever read by Dave Barry was Dave Barry's Complete Guide To Guys. I did not buy that book myself, mind you. I received it from a friend. Go figure. Yet I enjoyed the hilarious humor so much that I did end up reading more books by the author throughout the years.

Guys are simple ... women are not simple and they always assume that men must be just as complicated as they are, only way more mysterious. The whole point is guys are not thinking much. They are just what they appear to be. Tragically.

The American author and columnist who started out as journalist before a humorous guest column in the Philadelphia Inquirer led to being hired as columnist for The Miami Herald and ultimately winning the Pulitzer Prize "for his consistently effective use of humor as a device for presenting fresh insights into serious concerns". Apart from being a columnist, Barry has also written numerous books of humor and parody, as well as comedic novels.

Newspaper readership is declining like crazy. In fact, there's a good chance that nobody is reading my column.

What I didn't even know until now is that the movie Big Trouble, staring Tim Allen and Rene Russo, is based on Dave Barry's book of the same title. Though, admittedly, I've neither watched the movie nor read the book. Littel did I know that CBS boradcast a sitcom, Dave's World, based on his books.

Don't you wish you had a job like mine? All you have to do is think up a certain number of words! Plus, you can repeat words! And they don't even have to be true!

As there are plenty of books by the author out there, here are some I can wholeheartedly recommend to you. To get a general sense of his writing try out Dave Barry's Greatest Hits which features collected columns, and if you like travelling you might want to read Dave Barry's Only Travel Guide You'll Ever Need. And in case you should wonder about certain, uhm, peculiar things you may find in any of Barry's books, here's one of his favorite catch phrases: "I am not making this up".

2 comments:

  1. Haha I think I worked out by myself that men are much simpler than women (in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Used to love Dave Barry- haven't read him in a while. Dave's World was not so great. I haven't seen the movie though.

    ReplyDelete