July 12, 2011

Quote Garden - Don't mess with the librarian

Most people don't realize how important librarians are. I ran across a book recently which suggested that the peace and prosperity of a culture was solely related to how many librarians it contained. Possibly a slight overstatement. But a culture that doesn't value its librarians doesn't value ideas and without ideas, well, where are we?
Neil Gaiman

Librarian is a service occupation. Gas station attendant of the mind.
Richard Powers

I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous group. They are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man. I wouldn't mess with them. You know, they've had their budgets cut. They're paid nothing. Books are falling apart. The libraries are just like the ass end of everything, right?
Michael Moore

The three rules of the Librarians of Time and Space are: 1) Silence; 2) Books must be returned by no later than the date shown; and 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality.
Terry Pratchett

Don't mark up the Library's copy, you fool! Librarians are Unprankable. They'll track you down! They have skills!
Charles Ogden

4 comments:

  1. One of my friends recently changed her major to English because she has decided she wants to be a librarian. I think that she's made a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erich's Mom is a librarian. While she's softspoken and loves books, she has changed my image of librarians!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a librarin and I totally love this post thanks guys. Is it ok if I borrow a few quotes for a presentation I am doing. I will of course credit you - Find me on twitter @BookAngel_Emma <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you may "steal" a few quotes, or even all of them, if you like! You might also want to check out the GoodReads quotes page http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/ and search for "librarian" there to find even more great quotes!

    ReplyDelete