August 20, 2011

Pajama Musings - Evolution becomes Revolution

I really don't go to the cinema all that often. Of course the big screen beats your ordinary TV set every time, but on the downside ticket prices are ridiculously high and, even more so, most movies that come out these days are ... how to put it politely ... they are junk*.

But then there are those I really need to see and I can't just wait for the DVD to be available in stores. Seeing how I am a big fan of the original Planet Of The Apes movie of 1968, and lured in by the trailers on TV, I simply couldn't resist and had to invest some money in a cinema ticket to watch Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes.

Plenty of things could have gone wrong with this prequel and obviously we all know what must have happened before Charlton Heston found himself stranded on a planet ruled by apes, but I have to say this movie is fantastic. Not only are the motion capture effects that make monkeys out of humans awesome, I absolutely loved the nods to the original movie.

Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape.

Certain questions remain open and I really think that a sequel doesn't seem that far-fetched. In fact, I really really hope there's going to be one. A sequel to the prequel. Ha. But seriously, I sooo want to see Caesar again. And Maurice, the orangutan who, by the way, has been named after the actor who played Dr. Zaius in the original movie. Ah, the joy is all in the details ...

Anyone wondering what these movies have got to do with books? Alright, maybe you need to be a real fan to know this, but Planet Of The Apes is based on the book by Pierre Boulle, first published in 1963.


* My junk-theory found proof in the trailers they showed before the movie started. The first was for Aliens & Cowboys and while I do appreciate a good science fiction movie that one made me want to run away screaming. And who on earth needs yet another movie about the Three Musketeers!? If that would not be bad (or boring) enough, this version did not only get steampunked (emphasis on punked) it also features Milla Jovovich doing fight scenes a lot like the ones that Keanu Reeves did in The Matrix ... I just know that Alexandre Dumas must be rotating in his grave right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment