August 14, 2011

Review - Darkness Falling (Peter Crowther)

Darkness Falling is the first part of a new series by Peter Crowther and could probably be best described as Zombies go Science Fiction.
The idea itself isn't so new, but promising nonetheless. A bright light makes most people suddenly disappear. Those left behind are trying to understand what has happened when not a day later the light and the missing return. And they've changed.
Admittedly the premise had me hooked immediately and so did the first pages of the book. Every single one of the characters is given depth and allows a great and well devised - sometimes ironic, then humorous, or downright creepy - glimpse into their minds and personalities, which is something I often miss in otherwise good books. Unfortunately it soon turned out that the story is simply too character-focused with descriptions of every single event being minutely detailed, thus making the whole narrative incredibly slow and tedious.
Even more so the whole story-line can be summed up as the light changing people and those that remain unchanged coming together as a group in the end. That would be the end of Part 1 of the series and somehow the end is actually just the beginning of the whole story. I am convinced that a slimmed down narrative would make this a great first part of a book, but taken by itself it barely justifies as a separate novel.
In short: A fascinating premise, yet the execution made the book a tiring read!

2/5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the NetGalley.com book review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

2 comments:

  1. It's a shame when the author can't find a good balance between chracter development and plot. I can't remember if I requested this one or not, but if it's going to be a struggle I'll give it a miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got this from NetGalley, too, but had a hard time keeping it on my devices. So, maybe it was for the better :)

    Love of Books


    .

    ReplyDelete