August 14, 2011

Review - The Second Messiah (Glenn Meade)

Many years ago the sensational find of another Dead Sea Scroll turns into disaster when archaeologists get killed in a car accident and the scroll is considered destroyed. In the present, Jack Cane, the surviving son who follows in his parents footsteps, finds yet another scroll in a dig and is suddenly confronted with murder and all kinds of people who want to get their hands on the scroll, because of its shocking revelation.
Glenn Meade's book The Second Messiah is a solid thriller in the best tradition of Dan Brown. With just the right amount of conspiracies and a bit of romance thrown in for good measure, the book introduces an intriguing aspect of the gospel that is obviously highly speculative yet feels totally believable.
As far as characters go I have to say that not all of them felt as well rounded as I would have wished for, that goes especially for the female cast. On the other hand I found the description of the various settings, in Israel and Rome, very well written.
While I enjoyed the novel and found it quite engaging, the book was admittedly a bit slow at first before finally transforming into a fast paced read. Ultimately, or at least to me, the novel ended in a rather foreseeable fashion and did not hold all that many surprises which might have pushed it towards a great read.
In short: An action packed adventure for all those Dan Brown fans out there!

3/5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the Simon & Schuster Galley Grab book review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment