August 8, 2011

A Writer's Life - The hibernating reviewer

Don't ask me why, but for one reason or another I've been way behind with my reviews these past few weeks. Not exactly reviews for my blog, but those of books I "privately" read and only review for LibraryThing and Goodreads. Worst of all, it's not as though those would be all that long as I usually stick to the "anything between 150 and 200 words should do it" rule. Obviously it really doesn't require tons of time to sit down and type reviews of that length, but there's me moaning and groaning at the very thought of it.

Who would have thought that writing could be such a drag?
(Not me, that's for sure)

And I've only got myself to blame. After all it was me who decided to review every book I read, not just those meant for my blog (which are longer than my "normal" reviews, just in case you're wondering). As far as those are concerned I still need to write two, which probably doesn't sound all that bad, but the fact that I'm trying very hard to review within a week of reading, is putting some pressure on me.

What ever happened to reading just for the sake of reading?
*shrugs*

These days I feel the need to share my opinion on books, and sometimes when I browse through older reviews I realize that in some cases I probably would have already forgotten what the book was about and whether I liked it or not if I hadn't written that review. Of course I will always know the books that I found absolutely amazing, or those that were downright awful, but in between those two there's a whole lot of average books that somehow blur into one uniform lump of have-reads that often leave my mind blank.

I take comfort in the fact that I've seen some fellow bloggers posting about going through the same thing right now. Maybe we can blame it on summer? Maybe it is the season that makes our inner reviewer hibernate the way bears do in winter? What ever it is, it is annoying. It doesn't even seem possible to start reading a new book without my conscience nagging me to sit down and get those darn reviews done first. Come to think of it, maybe I should have a serious talk with my conscience.

The way things are right now, I am really hesitant to request more books on NetGalley. What am I saying? I did request a few the previous week, because I was down to just one unread book. And now I've got four more lined up because I simply couldn't resist. Things won't be getting better with the next Simon & Schuster Galley Grab newsletter either. I think I seriously need to pull the brakes!

Could the bottom line be that I should read less?
*gasp*

I sure hope not. Looking on my reading stats for the first six months of the year I realized that of the 78 books I read 34 were for review. It goes without saying that 78 is an amazing number for just six months, plus we are talking about more than a book per week for those meant for blog reviews. Sure I could just stop doing reviews for all the other books I read, but somehow I don't want to do that. Not yet anyway.

Here's a question to my fellow book bloggers. Are you ever going through a reviewing dry spell? How do you cope? And do you review really every single book you read or just a selected few? Let me know.

2 comments:

  1. The thing with my reviews is that I don't really have enough time to review everything I read. Then, when I review, I try not to say too much and spoil the fun for those who meant to read the book. Besides this, I don't really have a problem reading (too much) and reviewing too little :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I shouldn't be so hard on myself and review them all *sigh*. The good news - I sat down this morning and wrote four reviews for LibraryThing. Still plenty to go though.

    ReplyDelete