September 23, 2011

The Others - Alexandra Potter

Finally a Potter without a magic wand. Just kidding.
As far as I remember I first encountered Alexandra Potter through Amazon recommendations and bought Be Careful What You Wish For on a whim. I ended up enjoying it so much that I got another book by her, Me And Mr. Darcy, which convinced me that I actually needed to put that author on my must-read list for everything chick lit. Perfect brain candy. Not necessarily deep, a light read that will make you smile, with sweet and quirky characters, and basically the perfect material for escapism for romantic souls out there. You see, it doesn't always have to be Ms. Austen herself, sometimes readers need book like these. Some may frown upon the genre in general, but hey, to each their own.

And apropos Mr. Darcy ... Alexandra won the Best New Fiction award for the book at the Jane Austen Regency World Awards in 2008. So far she's written eight romantic comedy novels, yet I see them more like romantic and funny chick lit which, now that I think about it, is probably the same thing anyway.

Before I go, let me share with you what Alexandra has to say about her typical writing day:
I’m often asked about my writing day and I understand the curiosity. I too find it fascinating to read about other authors and how they just sit down, turn on their computer and fire off 5000 words before lunchtime. Then take the rest of the day off.

Oh, if it only was so easy for me!
My writing day usually goes something like this…

Make coffee, check emails, go on the internet: read all the papers online, my horoscope, ichat my mum, call my fellow writer-friend to brainstorm, make more coffee, have lunch…
No, but seriously –
Actually, I am being serious.
Every day I go through this ritual. Only once I’ve exhausted every single possible excuse for procrastination, do I finally start writing.
Writers are experts at procrastination. For me, it’s mostly down to fear – the fear that I won’t be able to think of a single funny thing to write and I’m going to spend hours staring at a flashing cursor, my mind as blank as the screen in front of me.
I’ve written seven books and trust me, I still have those days.

So this is what I’ve learned:
Inspiration does not strike in the Zara changing rooms.
You’re bottom does not leave that chair until you’ve written something.
And a lot of somethings, eventually, make a novel.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen this a few times now and it sounds like the perfect book to pick up when I'm in a chick lit mood. :) Thanks for sharing!

    Carina @ Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete