October 12, 2011

Beyond the Shelf - NaNoWriMo

Does today's blog post title sound rather cryptic to you? Maybe you're not a writer then, because if you are you have almost certainly heard about National Novel Writing Month, short: NaNoWriMo, before.

National Novel Writing Month takes place from November 1st through November 30th and the goal is to write a 50.000 word (approximately 175 page) novel during that time. We're talking about 1.666,66 words a day. You don't have to stop in mid-sentence (or mid-word) and do 1.666 words one day and 1.667 the next or maybe 3.217 one day and 69 the next day, but I digress.

In 2010, there were over 200.000 participants and more than 30.000 of them crossed the 50K finish line by the midnight deadline, thus entering into the annals of NaNoWriMo superstardom forever. Want to join the fun and literally drag yourself over that finish line as well? You'll need two things - enthusiasm and perseverance! Because of the very limited writing window, the only thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The emphasis on creating, not editing. This approach might sound a bit (haha) risky, but why not take the risk and see what happens?

Are you already breaking out in a sweat? Don't worry. You will not be the only one going through the fun (and pain) of NaNoWriMo, because as I mentioned above, lots of fellow Wrimos go through the same thing at the same time and you will always find open ears in the NaNoWriMo forum.

Interested? Read on.

How it works (taken from the NaNoWriMo website):

What: Writing one 50,000-word novel from scratch in a month's time.

Who: You! We can't do this unless we have some other people trying it as well. Let's write laughably awful yet lengthy prose together.

Why: The reasons are endless! To actively participate in one of our era's most enchanting art forms! To write without having to obsess over quality. To be able to make obscure references to passages from our novels at parties. To be able to mock real novelists who dawdle on and on, taking far longer than 30 days to produce their work.

When: You can sign up anytime to add your name to the roster and browse the forums. Writing begins 12:00:01 November 1. To be added to the official list of winners, you must reach the 50,000-word mark by November 30 at 11:59:59. Once your novel has been verified by our web-based team of robotic word counters, the partying begins.

5 comments:

  1. I signed up! I haven't ever done it before so I am really excited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've signed up! I'm Leeswammes if you want to link up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a confession ... back in summer I thought I would but now I decided not to sign up! My schedule is busy as it is, and I do need my beauty sleep after all. Though I'm certainly going to be watching your progress, Judith! Good luck and happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be most def. participating! I missed last year but was a winner in 2009. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look me up if you participate as well, I'm under the name "niinac". :)

    ReplyDelete