October 2, 2011

In My Mailbox (16)

To everyone who thought today's blog post will be a mile long, I didn't mean to lead you astray when I suggested it in yesterdays ramblings, but ... it's only about half a mile long. I behaved. At least in my opinion I did.

Let's have a look at the books I found at the flea market!

But before we start and people start marveling at the unfamiliar words on the book covers - I used the English titles in my post, though all the books I bought are German editions.

Getting up early on a weekend? It definitely paid off, because otherwise I doubt I would have been able to lay my hands on a copy of The Book Thief (Markus Zusak). Then imagine my surprise when I discovered The Secret (Rhonda Byrne) only a few steps over. Both books have been on my radar for a while and now I got beautiful hardcover editions of them that look like new!

And the horror lover in me couldn't quite resist when I saw a 3-in-1 edition including The Exorcist (William Peter Blatty), The Omen (David Seltzer) and Rosemary's Baby (Ira Levin).

Having been recommended those books not only by my lovely friend Sarah aka book- and bag-aholic in crime, but also by Stella from Ex Libris, I felt equally lucky to find Outlander, Dragonfly In Amber and Voyager (Diana Gabaldon) which literally just waited on a shelf to be picked up by me. They also look like new, at least the spines are in immaculate condition and those are fat heavy tomes, sooo ... me thinks someone else has been going on a book purge too, hahahaaa!!

Another book I was looking out for was The Pillars Of The Earth (Ken Follett). After hearing so much about it, and also watching the TV adaption some time ago, I hoped to find it on the flea market, and *woot* I did.

The science fiction nerd inside of me also found some goodies! Can you say Space Opera? The complete Commonwealth Saga - Pandora's Star Part 1 and 2, Judas Unchained Part 1 and 2 - and two books from the Night's Dawn Trilogy - The Neutronium Alchemist Part 2 and The Naked God Part 2 (Peter F. Hamilton).

The best is yet to come ... the whole loot only cost me €10,00!!

Thanks to The Story Siren for hosting the IMM meme!

4 comments:

  1. Well done! I totally loved Rosemary's baby. The Omen and The Exorcist I only know from film. Gabaldon, I don't know, the first one was good, the second one meh, the third one a DNF. But they are a must-read for every woman, I suppose, :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10 euros, that was a real bargain! You'll love The Book Thief. I was so impressed by it. And I also watched the "Secret" documentary made after the book, it is quite interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Well done, Birgit! I think you definitely behaved this time. This sounds like a very reasonable loot ;)) I do hope you enjoy Diana Gabaldon. I love her to bits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god the German edition of The Book Thief is beautiful!! I adore that book. So so much.
    And I need to get my hands on the Outlander books myself.. Keep seeing them loved and recommended everywhere and I have to see for myself.

    Once Upon A Time

    ReplyDelete