October 28, 2011

The Others - J.K. Rowling

I owe J.K. Rowling a nice set of well defined upper arm muscles. That might be a strange thing to say, but it's true. Thanks to her my biceps are beautifully sculpted. Now you might wonder why this is so? Well, it doesn't have to do with reading one of the Harry Potter tomes, I'm afraid. It's solely due to the fact that when her books came out I used to work at a bookshop to finance my time at Uni aaand, you may have already guessed, I was stockpiling hundreds and hundreds of her books, painstakingly creating elaborate pyramids of wizardry proportions. All hardcover, of course. And yes, I'm serious. My arm muscles might have deteriorated over the years, but they still look real nice in sleeveless shirts.

Back to J.K. though. Apart from first encountering her books while stacking them, I have never actually read them. Not even one. Not even a page. Or excerpt, for that matter. You see, apart from the fact that I considered them books for kids, this isn't really my kind of genre either. Even after the whole world, kids and adults alike, went crazy standing in line for days to grab the newest Harry Potter sequel, I didn't quite get the whole attraction. To make things even worse, I haven't watched any of the movies either. I've seen trailers, obviously, but that's about it.

Despite the fact that I have never read her, I think J.K. does deserve a spotlight in my Friday feature. Isn't see living the rags-to-riches life any author dreams of? Granted, all those legal actions to protect the copyright of dear Harry must be a drag, but I'm sure the net worth of the Potter empire, which is estimated to be about $1 Billion, will make up for the stress and tension this may cause. You can afford a lot of relaxing trips to a private spas with that much money, I'd say.

Except for her seven Harry Potter novels, plus some supplements to the series such as The Tales Of Beedle The Bard, there are no stand-alone novels by her yet. Personally I'm curious about what will come next? Not as though there would still be the need to write books to fatten up the bank account, but I heard that J.K. plans to continue writing for children, because she enjoys it. Rumor has it that she's also working on a book for adults. I'm curious about the latter, I admit, and maybe, who knows, this will one day be the first book by Rowling I'll actually read!

2 comments:

  1. I will die in a fit of fan girl hysteria if she produces another book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm waiting for a non-Harry book by her to read before I put her on my fav authors list. I adore the series so much, but to me it's all one story, so I want to get a taste of something new from her.

    ReplyDelete