October 10, 2011

Review - Amglish In, Like, Ten Easy Lessons (Arthur Rowse)

Amglish is, like, English in blue jeans, you know. And in best Amglish tradition Arthur Rowse presents his book Amglish In, Like, Ten Easy Lessons in a way that will make friends of correct orthography cringe more than just once.
While you could get the idea that this book is basically a how-to guide to improve your informal American English skills it is actually much more than that. Introducing the reader to the history of informal language, the author focuses on American English and its impact not only on the more obvious entertainment industry, but also on the media, politics (George W. Bush, anyone?), and teaching, but even more so, the global influence it has on other languages too (just think about what the Germans call Denglish or the Mexican-Americans Spanglish).
A smart and absorbing read, that certainly didn't lack on the amusement-scale, it was interesting to learn how informal language, with all its misspellings and abbreviations, has become an integral part of our everyday communication. Last but not least Rowe stresses the importance of being proficient in your native language and knowing how and when to switch from formal language to a more casual dialogue.
To improve the later just turn to the ten easy lessons in the last chapter. And don't you worry - the rules are flexible and may be broken if the need arises!
In short: Entertaining all the way through, the book had me ROFL more than once. Highly recommendable!

5/5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the NetGalley.com book review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

3 comments:

  1. I'm studying linguistics in uni as my minor - which, needless to say, means that I HAVE to get a copy of this! It sounds fantastic! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I'll consider it. Although it makes me think in high school when 'like' first started getting thrown into sentences in a non-sensical manner, a couple of friends and I said if you liked someone, then you 'like-liked' them'. As in "I kinda like, LIKE Jim, like ya know?" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds as though you were already fluent in Amglish, Amy! But seriously, this is a both fun and interesting read!

    ReplyDelete