October 29, 2011

Review - Dark Inside (Jeyn Roberts)

Throwing you into an apocalyptic scenario were dark things are rising and changing people, the premise of Dark Inside isn't all that different compared to other books of the genre. It all starts with an earthquake that makes people turn into crazy, violent killers. Not everyone is infected by this strange effect, among them Mason, Aries, Clementine, and Michael, who have to fight for survival on their search for others like them.
What sounds like a run-of-the-mill plot still managed to grab me from page one. Jeyn Roberts certainly wrote a page-turner with a lot of action-packed scenes and a great attention to detail, yet I also found the book lacking in some regards. Confronting the reader with five different POVs - four teenagers, plus the elusive "Nothing" - , which personally I really liked but for some might be distracting, there is a whole cast of distinct characters of which especially tough and smart Clementine grew on me. Apart from the well written main characters, the supporting characters feel too narrowly considered for the plot and could have used a bit more detail.
Being the first in a promising new series, sadly, this novel reads more like an introduction to the actual story and ends were I would have hoped for it to actually begin.
While being a YA novel, I'd personally recommend it to adults and more mature teenagers only.
In short: A gripping tale with more than one loose end!

3/5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the Simon & Schuster Galley Grab book review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

2 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to the sequel of this because I really want to know how this story will continue. While it's not my usually preferred kind of story I really enjoyed this one and I'm glad you did, too.

    Great review,
    Carina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 1/2 way through this book and really like it so far. I didn't realize it is the 1st in a series though.

    ReplyDelete