December 10, 2011

Review - Death: A Survival Guide (Dr. Sarah Brewer)

Death is no laughing matter. Then again, maybe it is. Death: A Survival Guide by Dr. Sarah Brewer had me chuckling from page one, which might be a bit strange considering the serious topic. Let's face it, death is one of life's certainties, and should not be taken lightly, especially seeing how, despite increased medical advances, the global death rate remains at 100%. While unavoidable, the interesting question would be how death gets you, but this is far from being predictable.
This quirky book is filled with information on ways to die and how to avoid them - everything from anaphylactic shock to tuberculosis, from homicide to a plane crash, from boredom to snoring. And no, I didn't make the last two up. You learn about how common a certain cause of death is, where it occurs, who's at risk, why it kills you, and most importantly what your own chances of survival are. While this combination of facts and humor could have easily been overdone, I found it to be just the right mix. I learned quite a few new and fascinating things, and the entertaining and wry wording made reading unexpectedly fun, despite the deadly subject matter.
100 scary reasons - why you might not make it to your next birthday - later, you'll have acquired quite a few oddly amusing, yet smart, conversation starters. If you also quit smoking along the way, all the better.
In short: A quirky view on one of life's certainties!

5/5 stars


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Quercus. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

1 comment:

  1. Death has been among my bookish interests for a few years now. I recommend you Staring at the Sun, by Yalom, a miraculous book that changed my life :)

    ReplyDelete