January 4, 2012

Beyond the Shelf - Based on the book

You can say what you want, but in my book (so to say) a book that's being adapted to a movie is just a bad idea. Most of the time anyway. Of course there are some good movies which are based on books out there, yet in the end I'd rather read than watch. Alright, maybe I will give in and go see The Hunger Games this year anyway.

If you are interested in a list of books that made it to the big, or at least TV screen, you should check out Based on the book on the Mid-Continent Public Library. Here you find a compilation of over 1,250 books, novels, short stories, and plays that have been made into motion pictures. Utilizing the Internet Movie Database as the authority, all movies in this collection have been released as feature-length films in the United States, in English, since 1980. You can search by title, author, and release date.

Let's have a look now on one of my fav authors and the horrible movie adaptations that have been made out of his books - Dean Koontz. I could have sworn that Intensity was made into a movie as well, hmmm ... well, maybe this list isn't as complete as I've been hoping, though linking it to IMDB is definitely a good start. Oddly enough the movie Intensity is in the movie database, so my guess is that either I've stumbled over a movie that has simply been overlooked or the list isn't as accurate as it should be.
Either way, the compliation is definitely a good start and so far the best books-gone-movies list I've personally come across. In case you know about similar websites, feel free to share!

Oh and for those wondering about the book cover - yep, that's Dr. Cox, uhm, John C. McGinley, and he's playing a very bad guy here indeed!

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes the movie can be better than the book. For me, it's the case of "The English patient". I didn't really enjoy the book, but after seeing the movie (for several times) I returned to the book and I managed to see it in a different, better light.
    Also, there is this short novella, "Silk", by an Italian writer Baricco, and the movie seems poetry in images (not that the book isn't).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually I am disappointed in a movie that is based from a book. The only exception I can think of is The Silence of the Lambs. I didn't enjoy the book, but loved the movie.

    ReplyDelete