January 14, 2012

Pajama Musings - Let's take a walk, shall we?

So there I was, contemplating how to make the most out of every minute of the day, especially those dreadful times you need to get from A to B aka from a warm and cozy bed to the cold dark places of modern slavery, when I had an epiphany. Alright, maybe not an epiphany of the celestial kind, but close enough.
There she was. A girl walking towards me on the sidewalk, holding a book in her hands, reading. Granted, there haven't been all that many people around so chances that she might bump into someone were slim. I couldn't help but stop and stare. This girl is my hero. Seriously! How come I never thought of this before? I mean I've never been able to read on the train to work, trust me I tried, but the usual result was that I felt sea sick and that feeling wouldn't leave until late afternoon. On second thought maybe the train-induced sickness was replaced by common office-job sickness around noon, but I digress.

The point is, I walk a lot. As long as I don't need to drag home several big grocery bags I see no need to get out the wheels. Plus, walking makes for great photo opportunities too. Try that while driving and the next photo will involve a black frame and crying parents. Anyway. I never seriously gave the idea of maybe reading while walking much attention, but this has now changed. I don't care whether people will cast me strange looks (I wouldn't notice anyway with my nose stuck between the pages of a book) and while I might have to invest in knee guards (because, let's face it, I'm bound to run into something or someone eventually) this is such a genius idea that I simply need to try it out myself.

I once heard that if you read while you walk you can read a book in about 43 kilometers. That is unless you get hit by a truck first. So assuming I won't get hit by anything or fall over a ledge I will keep you updated on my 43 kilometer read-athon. Here's to exercising the brain and those leg muscles at the same time!

6 comments:

  1. I could not walk and read at the same time. There are days I can't walk without bumping into something (and that's having nothing else to distract me).

    I'd like to know-how are you going to walk, read, and take pictures at the same time? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done that before, but I never feel comfortable doing it. Probably for the same reason I don't listen to an MP3 player while being outside. I need to know what is going on around me. But I love the image you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to do this all the time, it made exercise much more palatable. I still read as I walk around the house from one location to another

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've found the trick is to find someone going in the same direction and follow not too close behind them. Your peripheral vision should warn you if you need to stop. I find it funny I actually walk faster than people when I'm reading.

    Only downside is if you get to a really good point or revelation, you might stop abruptly and have to remind yourself to start walking again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of reading while/and doing other things, look what I found while checking for some Jeanette Winterson events... Speed Book Dating. It really is a great idea, in my opinion :)
    http://www2.lse.ac.uk/publicEvents/spaceForThought/LiteraryFestival2012/LSESU%20Speed%20Book%20Dating.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, actually, I do this somethimes - not with books but with newspapers! I do love the photo you used for this one, looks like a perfect moment :)

    ReplyDelete