January 23, 2012

A Writer's Life - Connections

What's the next best thing to having your name on the cover of a book? Being mentioned on the Acknowledgment page of a favorite author, of course!

But let's start at the beginning ...

Sometime back in early 2011 I connected with a certain author on LibraryThing. One of this books, or rather his only book, is one of my all time favorites and I had just added it to my virtual library. Next thing I know, there's a message by said author announcing that his next novel would be out soon. I was thrilled. After waiting over a decade, and checking for new books every once in a while, I had almost given up, but lo and behold, the patience paid off!

Needless to say, when the book came out I didn't even wait for the paperback edition, but ordered the hardcover straight away. This tells you a lot about my priorities. When the book finally sat in my mailbox I couldn't even start on it as two days later I've been on a plane to the UK. Obviously starting to read and then not being able to finish it until I return back home was not an option. Yet once I was back again it was the first book I grabbed.

Did it meet my expectations? Was it worth the wait? Yes ... though there were a few things that bugged me. More precisely, there were a lot of German expressions or short dialogues that would only look good if you're in your second semester studying German. Not being coy about it I wrote the author how much I enjoyed his novel, but I also mentioned the mistakes I came across. He profusely apologized, admitting that he was unfortunately aware of a few, uhm, glitches. Then *drumroll* he asked whether I'd assist with a few of the translations if need be. Of course I said yes, and a couple months later aka a week ago, an e-mail sat in my inbox asking for some input.

Do I really need to point out how exciting this all was? I mean, I was honored to help out, even though it was only a hand full of expressions I've been giving a scrutinizing look and red pen treatment. And then came the cherry on the cake. My name will be on the Acknowledgment page of the paperback edition *squee*. I guess, by the look of it, I will now have to get my hands on that edition too, hahaha! After my book buying ban is over, obviously.

Well, now that I got you all guessing I should reveal who on Earth I'm even talking about, right?
The author? Glenn Kleier
The novel? The Knowledge Of Good & Evil
And both will be featured here too when the paperback comes out in early spring. So in case you're as much into religious-themed thrillers (think Dan Brown) as yours truly, keep your eyes peeled for some exciting ventures into the realms of heaven and hell.

8 comments:

  1. Ooooh, how cool! That's got to be an awesome feeling once you get to see that Acknowledgement page up front and in person! Cognrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so bad for me! I love Dan Brown-lie thrillers, so of course this book goes onto my TBR :)! and it's always good when your input is appreciated in such a wonderful way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to be an enabler when it comes to books, teehee!

      Delete
  3. I am so happy for you, Birgit! Yaaaay :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome, Birgit! Absolutely great! You must be so so pleased! I would say that that reason would override the ban and you could buy the paperback in spite of it. I would!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the paperback won't be out before late April I think I'll wait it out until after my ban. Then again, in case I cave and don't go through with my ban, I might buy it sooner ;-)!

      Delete
  5. Wow! That's fantastic and rightly deserved! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt that same excitement seeing my name as 'editor'. :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete