February 4, 2012

Pajama Musings - To Shake or to Pear

So there we were, just two bookaholics sitting in a coffee shop getting a well deserved sugar rush from cake and croissants, when my sister in crime said to me, "They're closing down the big bookstore at the Mall!" Of course in times like these, closing bookstores aren't such a new thing, but news like these do make my heart grow heavy as it always reminds me of the wonderful days when I'd spend breaks between lectures in various bookshops ... browsing, and inevitably shopping.

While my friend would rather rename her dog than buy books online, I once again tried to convince her to have a look around on Amazon. "You can even browse through the first few pages online now.", I explained. Her stare was a mixture of dread and curiosity. "I might take a look.", she declared, and I knew that most likely she wouldn't as she's too much into the whole touchy feely thing when it comes to buying books. Can't say I blame her. I was like that myself for many years, but seeing how much cheaper I get books in the English language online I am seldomly seen inside bookstores now.

"And the local library sucks!", I ventured. "What local library?", she gave back. Our laughter was cut short by the fact that actually making fun of that thing someone decided to name LIBRARY in out hometown rather asks for tears. And not those of joy. Nibbling on her croissant my friend said, "A foreign language library would be awesome!" We both emitted a dreamy sigh that made the waitress turn and cast us a strange look.

After the waitress was gone I turned back to my friend. Not straying all that far from our book talk, I asked about Shakespeare. My friend's shoulders sagged again. "Did you hear that the authorship for some of his work is questioned?" I swallowed a bite of chocolate cake and replied, "I had no idea your dog could even write!"

8 comments:

  1. I do think there is a current trend to make people feel guilty about using Amazon. I wish I had a nice little indie bookshop to support but I don't. And most people outside publishing and bookselling don't even think twice about using it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still remember the days when I'd order English books through small bookshops, but these have closed down in recent years and when I do find interesting books in large bookstores they usually cost a lot more than I'd pay on Amazon. So, online book shopping it is!

      Delete
  2. So, your friend watched "Anonymous", which is a fantastic movie, except for the part in which they turn Shakespeare into a wuss...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That kind of hurt as she loves Shakespeare so much ... in fact she even named her Labrador-Retriever after her fav author!

      Delete
  3. Online book shopping is fab! Especially with an option of buying an ebook or a book when the craving hits you instead of venturing among the crowds of people to my town centre to try and find something you like with an outrageously expensive price tag or not find it at all :) Also my library improved so much in a year since I've started using it, it's almost awesome these days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! And I seriously wish we had a decent library in town, but sadly we don't.

      Delete
  4. I wish they wouldn't always slag off amazon like that. First of all, show me a German bookshop with such a variety of English books and the same prices. I'll go there if I find one. Next, I'd like to see a shop (in general, not just books) with amazon's customer service.
    As for Shakespeare, my husband is ranting about that Emmerich film and says we should boycott all his films because of that outrage....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I'd be hanging around in actual bookstores more often if the variety and the prices were comparable to online shops, alas they're not so I usually resort to Amazon or TBD these days.
      As to the movie, I haven't seen it, and I don't think I will.

      Delete