February 5, 2012

Tea & Books Reading Challenge

For those who missed my January post - welcome to the Tea & Books Reading Challenge!
Sign-ups are still open in case someone wants to join the challenge, and seeing how we've still got most of the year ahead of us, it shouldn't be too much of a problem to sink your teeth into some heavy tomes. So, if you want to join just leave a comment with your name, blog link, and the level you're going for. For more details please go to the Tea & Books Reading Challenge page!

Alrighty, how am I doing so far? Obviously I have to set a good example which is why I already tackled my first tome early on. The book I read was The Passage (Justin Cronin) and frankly, it was a real disappointment. I'm not scared of epic journeys or the dystopian and post-apocalyptic genres, on the contrary I love books like that, but this one *sigh* was just plain awful. I realize some folks love it, but it sure didn't work for me. Right now I'm hoping I'll have more luck with the next book in line, Under The Dome (Stephen King). After that? I must confess I haven't made up my mind about the rest of the books for this challenge yet, then again I have plenty to choose from, so we'll see which ones I eventually decide to pick up.

One down. Five more to go.

How about you? Have you started on the first chunkster by now? If so, which one?

Stay tuned for a very special Tea & Books giveaway coming up next!

18 comments:

  1. I've finished my first novel A Game of Thrones and I'm well into my second novel A Clash of Kings (roughly 65% read). I'm glad I chose a series as it makes me want to read the next one that much sooner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the looks of it you're in full reading challenge mode, woohoo! Choosing a series is probably a wise thing to do - I might read some of The Outlander books by Diana Gabaldon myself, though I've still got a bunch of stand alone books that fit the challenge as well. Decisions, decisions!

      Delete
    2. Sorry for the late reply - never saw yours :( I have definitely fallen into full challenge mode!

      It was both smart and not-so-smart to pick a series. It's easier to keep going, but so much harder to put down! Luckily I'm part of a book group that forces me to out of the series for a bit each month.

      I've just completed the third book in the A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) series, so I'm half way to the end of the challenge!

      Delete
  2. So far I have managed Shantaram, which was brilliant and a must read in my eyes, The Passage, and I have to say I agree with you, and am 75% of the way through Anna Karenina. Am going to go for a couple of easy reads before I tackle the Game of Thrones series, so I think I might be upgrading my level :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Upgrading sounds fantastic! Not sure if I will do the same as I'm already aiming for the Earl Grey Afficionado, but who knows?

      Delete
  3. I finished my first book - The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. My review is here.

    I'm not sure which one to read next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on the first tome! Here's to many more!

      Delete
  4. Hi there, just saw the challenge, and would like to join, if still possible.

    Patty/A tale of three cities/Camomile lover

    (for the time being...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you may still join - I added you to the list! Happy reading!

      Delete
  5. I have started on Jaroslave Hasek's Czech classic (in English), The Good Soldier Svejk. Here are my first comments: http://silverseason.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/svejk-behind-the-lines/.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky / http://escapismthroughbooks.blogspot.com / Berry Tea Devotee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reema Sahay / http://recommendbooks.blogspot.in/2012/01/book-reading-challenges-2012.html / Chamomile Lover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining and happy reading!

      Delete
  8. I would like to join as well: Mary / http://bibliographicmanifestations.blogspot.com / Earl Grey Afficionado.
    I will be posting about my plan on Saturday. Thanks for hosting such a great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Hope you stop by on Sunday for my next update!

      Delete
  9. Silva Sakasi / http://knihovela.blogspot.com / Charmonie Lover (or Berry Tea Devotee)
    At this moment - Game of Thrones and Russka (but i hope to upgrade).
    My native language is Czech, so I'll write a challenge in the Czech language.
    Greetings from Czech Republic to our neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello neighbor!!
      I added you to the challenge and the new update has already been posted today!

      Delete