February 6, 2012

A Writer's Life - Who's supposed to decipher this?

It's interesting, really, how our handwriting will change over the years. When I come across old notebooks from when I was just a wee child going to elementary school I always marvel at the lovely, if obviously child like, script on the pages. Then the years passed, and things got a bit more sloppy during Senior High. What finally did me in was my oath to eventually buy myself a dictaphon for all those Uni courses, because the fast scribbling to keep up with the lectures was rather annoying. Each semester I said I'd buy one, but then the last year at Uni had arrived and I figured that now it'd be a waste to get one. Even if I had, the fate of my handwriting had already been sealed during the first year of breaking speed records with pen on paper.

It's funny, really, that I didn't end up as a doctor. Looking at my handwriting this would seem like a perfect choice. But no. Equally I didn't grow sick of writing as such either. I just moved from writing by hand to typing on the keyboard which helped a lot as far as being able to read it goes. Of course I've always been great in deciphering my own scrawl, but other folks often had (and still have) trouble to read it when I'm actually trying very hard to write pretty.

I've always admired people with a beautiful handwriting. In a lot of cases they will write quite fluently aka fast without sacrificing the readability or the eye-pleasing look of their letters. I'd love if my own scrawl could be magically transformed to pre-Uni looks again as that would already be quite an improvement. Maybe my scrawl will never look like calligraphy, but it doesn't hurt trying, right?

So, I googled around for a bit and came up with this ...

... now the question would be - do I want the world to be able to read my scribbles in this lifetime or in the next! I'd probably be starved before I manage to jot down the final item on my grocery shopping list. Besides, who cares about how my grocery shopping list looks like except for me?

And now be thankful that blog posts are being typed and not actually written by hand. Especially my hand.

As Rikki asked for it, I decided to add a wonderful example of my handwriting. Those are some lines from the song White Birds by Loretta Velvette, in case anyone should be wondering.

5 comments:

  1. Unfair! You should have posted an image of your handwriting!
    Actually I read a book about improving your handwriting (and improve your life) but it was too "Americanized" for the way we write in Europe. Also there is a very nice handbook by Heidi Swapp, a well known scrapbooker famous for great lettering, about loving one's handwriting. There is always hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your wish shall be granted. Just give me a minute and I'll scribble down some lines for you ...

      Delete
    2. Oh, that DOES look rather bad....;)

      Delete
  2. My handwriting has gotten worse over the years, it seems the more I rely on a computer, the worse my handwriting is. Of course, the numbness and issues in my hands don't help! Yet, I'm still the one everyone in the family asks to write invitations when we have a party, because they say my handwriting is the nicest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My handwriting has always been bad! I failed it in grade 4! lol really, back then it was taught as part of our curriculum, and we got a grade on how well we did it. Well, I quite happily took to writing quickly, but being left-handed, whenever it was hot out, my hand would smear whatever I was writing with, pen or pencil. My teacher said she knew that I knew what I was writing about, but it was like reading Egyptian hieroglyphics!!! Sadly it hasn't much improved over the years, so I was delighted with the advent of the computer and email. And funny, I am a writer too!

    ReplyDelete