March 20, 2012

Quote Garden - I have learned a great deal from novels, some of it is even true

Please, don't torture me with cliches. If you're going to try to intimidate me, have the courtesy to go away for a while, acquire a better education, improve your vocabulary, and come back with some fresh metaphors.

Where there is cake, there is hope. And there is always cake.

If God is an author and the universe is the biggest novel ever written, I may feel as if I'm the lead character in the story, but like every man and woman on Earth, I am a suporting player in one of billions of subplots. You know what happens to supporting players. Too often they are killed off in chapter 3, or in chapter 10, or in chapter 35. A supporting player always has to be looking over his shoulder.

If dogs talked, one of them would be president by now. Everybody likes dogs.

But once an idea for a novel seizes a writer ... well, it’s like an inner fire that at first warms you and makes you feel good but then begins to eat you alive, burn you up from within. You can’t just walk away from the fire; it keeps burning. The only way to put it out is to write the book.

By Dean Koontz

3 comments:

  1. If dogs talked, one of them would be president by now. Everybody likes dogs.

    I sent that to people at work. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great quote! I haven't read Dean Koontz in ages (I admit, once I discovered Stephen King, I never picked up Koontz again), but this is really fantastic.

    ReplyDelete