April 25, 2012

Beyond the Shelf - Pinterest

Haven't heard of Pinterest yet? Where have you been in the past year? Living in Antarctica without electricity and probably no running water. If so, you might want to take a nice hot bath before you read on.

So, for those not yet in the know, Pinterest is a pinboard-styled social photo sharing website. The service allows users to create and manage theme-based image collections. The site's mission statement is to "connect everyone in the world through the things they find interesting."

Now what on Earth has Pinterest got to do with books? Simple. You can share pretty much anything here. You love fashion? Pin your fav designer shoes. You love food? Pin your favorite recipes. You love books? Pin pin pin all that you love about reading, from awesome libraries to book quotes on T-shirts, from book covers to your latest IMM haul.


There are a lot of bloggers, also book bloggers of course, on Pinterest and in addition to following their blogs this is a wonderful way to share even more about our bookish passion. Plus, it doesn't have to stop there either. While you probably won't share your love for travelling or music on your book blog, you can certainly do so here.

Needless to say I was instantly hooked when I started pinning maybe two months ago. You know what they say - women are natural born gatherers and here we can do just that. Hoarding all kinds of pretty or interesting things!

And if you thought this gathering-thing is just for girls, think again! Guys can have equal fun on Pinterest, or if they should prefer, they might want to check out Manteresting, the manly version of Pinterest.

5 comments:

  1. Manteresting? O M G! Too funny!
    Don't forget to mention the Book Bloggers Directory for Pinterest: http://www.wellreadwife.com/2012/01/26/directory-of-book-bloggers-on-pinterest/

    Btw, I think quite a few people are getting a bit reluctant to pin stuff because of all the copyright debate. Doesn't stop me for now, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for mentioning that link! I totally forgot to add it despite being on that list myself. Old age setting in ...

      And the whole copyright debate isn't stopping me either. I usually try to pin directly from a site so the picture is linked back, but I don't really check on my re-pins.

      Delete
    2. Even your re-pins link back to the original site. I just checked. So I really don't know what the problem is....

      Delete
  2. I took a glimpse at it a month ago and I find it quite interesting, especially since I love gathering all pics and quotes from here and there, but I didn't have the time to set up an account, I guess I will do it during summer... once again, my schedule is getting hectic :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you're going to love it! It is really neat. And addictive too.

      Delete