April 21, 2012

Pajama Musings - To Kindle or not to Kindle?

Yesterday the new Kindle Touch became available on Amazon Germany. I know what you're going to say now ... new?!? Yeah, well it is at least where I live, and I am well aware that in other parts of the world the new thing would be the Kindle Fire, but anyway.

The thing is this. I do own an eReader. One of those no-name thingys that has served me well in the past. The reason I bought it in the first place was for all those eGalleys, because let's face it, reading on the computer screen is hard on the eyes and it's not as comfy as lounging on the bed either. As the months moved on I realized I'm quite an eBook hoarder and thanks to many tempting free eBook downloads my eReader got plenty to chew on. Did I actually buy any eBooks? Yep, late last year I finally did and bought the whooping number of three eBooks on Smashwords.

Now with my book buying ban I obviously don't buy any books, physical or otherwise. Still, I did browse around on TBD and I noticed something that really annoyed me. No matter which eBook I looked up on TBD - it wasn't available. I have no idea whether this has got to do with where I live or whether it's just my darn luck that I only want what I apparently can't have (there are other eBooks available, of course, just none I'd like to have).

Now let's get to the bottom of it all. My eReader is one of those that thrive on epub's and pdf's. While it's wonderful that TBD offers those formats, it'd be very helpful if it also offered certain "currently unavailable" eBooks *grumbles*. Alas it does not, so I pushed the whole idea aside, which wasn't too bad anyway with my book buying ban still in action.

Copyright by Amazon

Then I made the terrible mistake of going to Amazon. Just looking for some DVDs, you know. What did I see? The announcement of the new Kindle Touch, woohoo! And with this woohoo came that nagging voice that whispered, "I know you want me! Come get me!" I'm sure you're familiar with that voice and its alluring charm.

Next thing I know, I'm checking out the features of the eReader. And while I was at it I also looked up those unavailable eBooks. And what did I see? The land of plenty, that is what! And the prices! Ohhh ... can you say bargain? Woohoo! Again.

Then I heard it. The voice of reason. It wasn't exactly as loud as the aforementioned woohoo voice, but after a while it did catch my attention. I remembered that after the Amazon Kindle the Barnes & Nobles Nook is the next big thing and apparently they use the epub formats (please correct me if I'm wrong). So I headed over and checked for the books I have an eye on and what did I see?

No woohoo, sorry folks! Available? Yes. Bargain? Not really. I compared a few different books and they are all 25% cheaper on Amazon. Alrighty! And, yes I am aware that the Kindle would be an additional investment, but can you say Kindle Daily Deal? Yeah, baby!

I'm kinda running in circles in today's blog post, but what it all boils down to is one question. Is it crazy to own two eReaders? I know I knooow ... I once said I'd boycott the Kindle as long as you cannot read epub's on it, but now that I've seen the Kindle Touch and the great prices for eBooks on Amazon I want one, boohoohoo! Big dilemma. How to solve it?

This is where y'all come in with hopefully plenty of good advice!

16 comments:

  1. I'm contemplating buying a Kindle the new one too. I have an iPad and can read ePub, kindle and kobo and PDF (not so keen). I would prefer a kindle because it is a specific reader and less hard on the eyes anti-glare etc. I'd certainly be tempted ot upgrade if I had a no-name ereader too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Temptation's big, but I won't do anything in the next two months anyway, because if I bought the Kindle now I'd have to buy books for it too and with my book buying ban, well, I don't see this working.

      Delete
  2. You don't have to own two e-readers, you can donate the first one :))
    Anyway, from time to time I do think I may enjoy owning one with the explosion of ebooks on the Romanian market, but I am still not sure about this big step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I like your way of thinking, but if I get a Kindle I'd keep the other eReader for formats the Kindle doesn't support. But I agree, it's a big step, it certainly was for me when I bought mine early last year.

      Delete
  3. I am not going into it again (already did that by email in detail, :)), but I advise against it. Strongly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kindle! And you can always donate your other e-reader to a young reader as a 'my first e-reader' type gift! What Amazon has done better about recently is accepting pdfs and epubs and with Overdrive in the US finally working with Amazon to make some library books available it was definitely worth the purchase for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - Just finished my original Tea and Books level of 6 - only two more to go now :-D

      Delete
    2. You had to remind me, didn't you? I am not quite falling behind (yet) but so far I am still at 2 read - 4 to go, oh my!

      Delete
  5. I do own two eReaders and actually thought about getting.. well, okay, three would be crazy, but two? Naaah. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take that as a "Go for it, girl!".
      Which I most likely will, hehe!

      Delete
  6. Totally OT: With the arrival of Orhan Pamuk at my house Ally reminded me of your Tea & Books challenge. Can I still join? I would go for the first level with two books. Pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, I added you to the list (and will soon start nagging you about an upgrade, muahahaha).

      Delete
  7. I am not sure if the Nook supports epub, I've never needed to use it. You remember I dragged myself almost kicking and screaming into the ereader world last summer. I have a Nook Color, and do love it. As a B&N member, I am able to get discounts on most books. B&N also offers a daily deal too- at least here in the states. And they have this wonderful way of emailing me about books they think I might like based on my previous spending. LOL!

    As for being crazy to own two ereaders- well, there was a time that people thought it was unnecessary to own more than one tv or computer. We currently have two tvs and I think we are down to only four computers in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I thought that the Nook format actually is epub? I have no idea. But I must say I like your way of thinking - it's true, we often have so many technical gadgets in more than one version in our homes, what's a second one of anything, really?

      Delete
  8. The Kindle Touch just became available in Australia as well (The Fire still isn't) and I got one for my birthday last week. So far I am liking it :)

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete