April 1, 2012

Tea & Books Reading Challenge

With three months into the year we all should be well on our way in this challenge. From brushing off the dust from those heavy tomes on our shelves (January) to sorting through the books we might want to read (February) straight to opening and reading the first book for the challenge (March) I hope to hear some good news from you all - news as in you've finished (at least) your first tome in this challenge!

As to myself, I'm happy to announce that after having read my first book back in January, I managed to read my second one in March. After the rather disappointing read of The Passage (Justin Cronin) I read Under The Dome (Stephen King) which proved to be ... uhm, a long book indeed. But seriously, while I loved the premise and the intriguing reason for why the dome was there, the novel as such has its good and bad sides, all in all an average read, so I'm not complaining.

Still four books to go and no, I haven't quite made my mind up yet which ones to tackle. Seeing how I haven't read a single book in German this year (despite making this a priority in my bookish New Year's resolutions) I will probably go for some Andreas Eschbach or Frank Schätzing. Not sure which ones as I've got several unread books by them, but with a little bit of will power I might manage to decide and read one this month.

I know there are some of you who are already way ahead in this challenge and I've had the first person volunteering for an upgrade of their level too a week or two ago. No pressure, of course, but if you feel like you're on a roll and want to level up, just let me know!

And now, comment away with how you're doing so far! And don't be shy in case you haven't even touched your first tome, especially if you went for Chamomile Lover, you've still got plenty of time. In case you went for Sencha Connoisseur you might want to get a move on though.

14 comments:

  1. I finished my first book of the challenge, The museum of Innocence" by Pamuk, and it is totally incredible!
    I hope to have some time to write a few words on it.. It surely deserves them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on finishing your first tome, Ally!

      Delete
    2. When I finish Murakami's 3 volumes of 19Q4 I will expect to be rewarded as well :))

      Delete
  2. Whoohoo for upgrades! :-D I started reading Gone with the Wind which will be my 6th and I've picked a tentative 8th book, Joyce's Ulysses, but that might change.

    I will be beyond impressed if you're reading some in your non-native language! I wish I still had the patience to trek through a novel in Spanish or French, but it's been too long and my language skills have gone down hill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay to your upgrade!!

      As to being impressed - German happens to be my native language, sooo ... the thing is I've been almost exclusively reading English books in the past year and I fear I'm going to forget my own language if I keep on neglecting books in German.

      On second thought, you may still be beyond impressed ;-) as I'm reading in a non-native language every time I pick up an English novel, ha!

      If it's any comfort, trying to read in French wouldn't get me very far either. I haven't practiced that language since school and with any luck I could ask for the next restroom, but that's about it.

      Delete
    2. I love reading in French especially French authors. They have their "je ne sais quoi", and it's the same with French movies :)

      Delete
    3. Definitely still impressed! I wish I was fluent enough in another language aside from English to read more than just young adult novels. I guess young adult novels are a start, but it has been a long time since I've read any. Maybe I'll dig out my non-English Harry Potter novels again.

      Delete
  3. Hi, can you add me too? :) I think I'll try with Berry Tea Devotee first. I already read 1Q84 by Murakami this year and I'm reading A Feast for Crows by R. R. Martin right now. I'm planning to tackle A Dance with Dragons and Cryptonomicon after. My blog is called HEARTing Handmade. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome to welcome new faces to the challenge and you've obviously already been very busy reading too!

      Delete
  4. I have finished 2 out of the 6 I signed on for. I posted an update at http://bibliographicmanifestations.blogspot.com/2012/03/i-finished-my-second-book-out-of-six.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finished my first book, World Without End by Ken Follett. My review is here: http://www.rosecityreader.com/2012/04/review-world-without-end.html

    Sometimes it felt like Book Without End! But it was the longest (1,014 pages) book on my TBR shelf, so I am pleased to be done with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I"ll go for the earl grey. I have already completed one reading challenge this year - passing 100 books this year months ago..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, welcome to the challenge! It's great that you'll settle for the Earl Grey level right away (and of course, if you've already read chunksters with 700+ pages this year, those will already count).

      Delete
  7. I completed And the Ladies of the Club back in April and forgot to link up. Excellent book.

    ReplyDelete