April 29, 2012

Tea & Books Reading Challenge

Have you noticed how we're already four months into the year? Now, why am I pointing that out? Let me think. Maybe because those tomes don't read themselves? Yup, must be it. We all need a little reminder every now and then, and this one's for all those challenge participants who're still struggling to pick up their first tome.

Now, I'm not going to claim I made a whole lot of progress. I managed to read two of six books so far, which means that there is still plenty of time left and no need to panic (just yet). Admittedly one reason for not having read the next book for the challenge was based on yours truly having difficulties to make up her mind. Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately) I have plenty of books with 700+ pages to choose from and I've now decided which ones to tackle next.

My plans for May and June are to read two books by German author Andreas Eschbach - Ausgebrannt and Eine Billion Dollar. Neither one got translated, but the first title means "burned out" and I guess the second novel's title is pretty much self explanatory anyway. Book one comes in at about 750 pages, the second at almost 900. Take a wild guess which one I'll read first.

How about yourself? What did you read in the past weeks? Which book is next on your radar? Let me know.

14 comments:

  1. I was just thinking that maybe I should start Murakami's 1Q84, since I haven't read any book by him for the Murakami challenge and there are so many great books planned for the summer that I may not be able to finish it, SO, after I finish the books that I started reading, I will tackle my second chunkster for the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. where is Murakami challenge? I'm a huge fan but there are still some books I haven't read yet. :D 1Q84 is great!

      On topic: I'm reading the third book now (A Dance With Dragons). I really started to love long books. I like it if authors take it slowly for unwrapping the story.

      Delete
    2. Masa, check my blog, and on the right you will find the link :)

      Delete
  2. Staying at 6 for the foreseeable future - but with 7 months to go, I've no doubt I'll get through Ulysses and Anna Karenina. Happy reading everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being that I signed up for the Chamomile Lover (2 books), which means that I need to complete one book before July 1st and the other before the end of the year is up. I think I am going at the correct pace because I am currently reading "Gone with the Wind" (a little over a 1000 pages) and I am half through the book. Hopefully I can have it completed by the 4th of July and complete one more.

    www.booksnobwannabe.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This month I am going to try reading "A Sword of Storms" by George R.R. Martin. I am loving his books! Can't wait to see what this one holds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I'm entering the challenge for the first time!

    Denise/Zantippy Skiphop/level 2 chamomile lover!

    This is so cool! I chose chamomile lover, because my first one will be Les Miserable, which has over 1200 pages, and also because I read a lot of children's and YA books, most of which are much shorter than 700 pages and I want to be able to still read them. Hmmm maybe I'll look for a new YA that is very, very long! :D

    (Is there a way to "comment as" our blogspot here or just google?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the challenge! You've certainly chosen a very impressive tome to start with! Happy reading!!

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Birgit! I can't wait! The first time I started to read Les Miserable, I got stuck at his inner turmoil during the trip to reveal himself as the real Jean Valjean. It just went on and on! :D But that was maybe 20 years ago. I love the story so am determined to finish it this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm working on Bleak House, which is proving to be very slow going. It will be chunkster 3 out of 6 if I make it through. I was thinking of reading a Robertson Davies book that has been on my shelf quite a while but am not sure it "counts." It is over 600 pages, but is actually 3 volumes of a trilogy bound together and paginated as a single volume. Does that meet the challenge criteria?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as the number of pages is slightly negotiable (if the other books are a lot longer than 700 pages, that is), it must be a stand alone novel - so the trilogy does not count, sorry!

      Delete
  8. hello i am entering
    sary/sarrod22.blogspot.com/Sencha Connoisseur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A warm welcome to the challenge and yay for going for the highest level!!

      Delete
  9. I signed up to read 8 (that sounded a lot easier at the beginning of the year) and half way through the year I have finally read my first. Yet to write a review... so behind.

    ReplyDelete