May 5, 2012

Pajama Musings - Big screen, small screen

I really don't go to the cinema all that often. As a matter of fact I can count the last couple times on one hand and still have two fingers free to wiggle. Once upon a time (that would be 2009) I went to see the latest Star Trek and Terminator movies, and in 2011 Planet of the Apes: Prevolution. Obviously nothing brilliant happened in 2008 and 2010, or at least nothing motivated me enough to spend money on a cinema ticket (and it gets me thinking that I tend to only go to the cinema in odd years).

Copyright by W&V 

Noticed something? I didn't mention the Hunger Games movie (which also explains how I have two fingers free to wiggle, plus it is an even year after all). Not as though it isn't tempting ('cause it is), but I look at it from this side - while it is fun and all to go out and watch a movie at the cinema, the ticket prices do dampen the joy quite a bit. Let's face it, those are pretty expensive, even if you go into one of the "cheaper" afternoon showings. And these days DVDs become available within roughly six months after the movie first came out anyway. Then you can invite some friends over and have a movie night including popcorn and all for a lot less money and just as much fun (unless you've only got a 7'' inch portable DVD Player that is).

I guess DVDs are my movie equivalent of buying paperback editions. Same content, less to spend. And sometimes I even wait for a movie to be shown on TV. Talk about being a Scrooge. Or maybe not, seeing how they raised the monthly costs for the TV license from roughly € 22,- to € 31,- which nearly gave me a heart attack. For those marveling about this fee - it is something you must pay in some countries (like Austria in this case) for owning a TV set. They even send inspectors from door to door in case you haven't registered a TV set (apparently they assume that every person must own one). I'm not joking! And in case you were wondering, costs for cable TV are extra (and cheaper, with a whole lot more variety, go figure). But (something I do quite frequently) I digress.

So, anyone else who'll rather wait for the DVD? Or has anyone but me already seen The Hunger Games movie? I don't want to feel like I'm all alone in my greediness when it comes to buying cinema tickets ...

4 comments:

  1. yep, I'm with you here, Birgit! TV license in UK is the reason I haven't owned a TV since 2008. I find it appauling that because of one channel without ads, a channel I can't stand most of the time people have to pay for the privelege of owning a TV. No thanks. Most of my films are on dvds, last time we went to see John Carter on the big screen it cost us £28 without any snacks. I can buy few dvds and some food for the same money, watch everything and then resell dvd on ebay or give it to a friend. Just no comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only go to the movies once or twice a year... we don't have a decent cinema in my town, so why bother? Plus, there is always pirate bay :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't go often either, and I don't watch TV. All I watch are DVDs if I feel like it (we have a very large DVD collection).
    TV license is a shame, especially since the public channles also show ads, maybe not quite as extensive as private ones, but still enough. You would think their program is so much better with all the additional income, but it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'm not the most frugal person, but when it comes to movies, I'm downright cheap. Even if you sneak in your own refreshments, it's still a $20 bill (at the matinee) for two people. To me, there are few movies worth that. Plus, I will forget that the movie is out and before you know it, I can buy it on demand on our cable for $5 and watch it on my couch in my pjs. The only movies I've been to in the last couple of years are for kids- when I take my niece. She still finds going to the movies to be an awesome experience. Of course, because she isn't paying for it!

    ReplyDelete