May 19, 2012

Pajama Musings - The Trunk

How often have you read about how bloggers arrange their books on their shelves? A lot. I know this, because I'm reading about at least one such endeavor each week on other blogs. Now, why would I want to chime in, you ask? Actually, I don't.

By now we're all familiar with all the different ways of arranging books to your liking - in alphabetical order, by author's name, by color, by size, and needless to say, these methods can be combined in which ever way you choose. I can see the allure in wanting to bring some kind of order into your personal library. You might even manage to make the amount of books you're hoarding look a little less daunting (not as though you could seriously fool your spouse or family, but it never hurts trying). Plus it's just a whole lot of fun to take all the books into your hands, maybe dust them off in case they've been on those TBR piles for a little while (and I can assure you, they have). But then, of course, this is where the real work starts and if you don't have some kind of action plan you're pretty much doomed to spend a whole weekend (minus a well deserved nap) hauling books from one corner to the next until your body is in dire need of a massage while there is still no light at the end of the book tunnel.

Copyright by Carolyn Crimi

Long story short. I don't arrange my bookshelves. Not really. Sometimes I might purge them to sell or give away books I don't plan to keep (all a question of how much space you have, or rather don't have), and other books will be put, if not squeezed, in the now available spots. Trust me, I try to have some kind of order, at least placing books by the same author in the same spot, but if you asked me to give you a general direction of, say, all my Rachel Gibson books, I'd 1) have to think long and hard until 2) I remember those are in "the trunk" which is a big chest in my room filled with books to the brim, and basically wanting to get a book that's at the bottom will translate into yours truly hanging head down into said trunk up to her butt ... I'm not joking. In fact I've been thinking of giving away some copies from Unce John's Bathroom Reader books through Old Books in need of a New Home but I'm fairly sure those tomes are at the bottom of "the trunk" and just the thought alone makes my back ache. Well, not running out of other books to give away right now, but you see the basic problems I'm facing with my store-in-trunk-method.

One day I might be brave enough to seriously rearrange all my books, but I don't see this happening anytime soon. Maybe if I had minions and could just sit on the couch and yell orders ... well, that might actually work.

How about you? Do you like to give those bookshelves some attention every now and then? Or are you just stacking books where you find space and hope for the best?

6 comments:

  1. Great post, Birgit! Now I really want to see that trunk ;)))
    I've got one small bookcase which I'm slowly filling in since we moved back to UK, and the only separation it has is books I've read are on the top, unread - on the bottom. I don't think I should really bother with anything else yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, apart from my trunk I've got tons of books in boxes or simply stacked ... it's really bad (and I shudder to think what'd happen if there was an earthquake).

      Delete
  2. I've never rearranged books because I always seem to lack the necessary space for what I may plan. Speaking of trunks, I have a few boxes with books on the balcony and I was just thinking these days that I may either give them away or find bigger boxes..... oh, or change apartment :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the balcony? I take it it's a closed space and not open? Rain & books = not a good idea

      Delete
  3. I have two bookcases in my room- one is for all books that relate to history and the other one (a six foot tall bookcase) is for all the other books. The books are then sub-divided by subject (for the history books) or genre (for the other books) and then alphabetized within each subject. The books I have not read are turned upside down, so the title goes in the opposite direction of the ones I have read. This helps me keep them straight. OCD? :) When I buy new books, I stack them on the front of the shelves, because lets face it, the bookcases are stuffed. When the stacks of new books get too big, then I go for the all out rearrange. Which takes all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, that's exactly the reason why I don't rearrange my books. That's time better spent on actually reading!

      Delete