May 26, 2012

Pajama Musings - The wishlist purge

Some have humongous TBR piles. Others have wishlists a mile long. And then there are those who indulge in both. The good news, if you can call it that way, is that I fall into the realms of mountain ranges of unread books only, while my wishlist is shockingly small.

Let me start at the beginning though. As most of you know by now, I'm on a book buying ban since January. Still going strong, and apart from a brief moment of breaking out in hysterical sobs when walking by a bookshop back in April, I've been a good girl and did not buy any books. A glance at the towering stacks of books still waiting to be read usually helps with that.

Now, you might think that my wishlist has exponentially grown as I never relieve it of at least a few books every now and then by clicking the BUY button. Wrong. For some very strange reason my interest in new books has ebbed in the past months and I only put a selected few books by favorite authors onto my wishlist. Luckily most will become available right around the time my book buying ban ends. Though, let's not digress.


Initially I thought my wishlist would literally go through the roof. Strangly, it didn't. When I won a book of choice in a giveaway not long ago I actually had to think long and hard which one I wanted. I went through my wishlist and ... wait for it ... ended up deleting copious amounts of books that I put on it over the course of a year or so. Granted, my wishlist has never been all that long in the first place, maybe 50 books or so (let's just assume this IS a short wishlist, because I know people who have 500 books on their wishlist ... not naming any names *cough*) and when I was done, there were roughly 25 books left on it. Not to say that's a bad thing. Definitely puts less pressure on the whole ban. Yet the interesting thing would be how I once really wanted to get my hands on certain books and now I'm just no longer interested. This puts a whole new meaning to thinking-before-buying.

How about your wishlist? Are you more a huge-TBR-pile person or a wishlist-hoarder? Maybe both? Comment away!

18 comments:

  1. Towering TBR all the way! I found having a long wishlist was really overwhelming so I stopped keeping track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what they say - when it gets too long you need to make it shorter (aka buy the books) ... just teasing (maybe)!

      Delete
  2. This year, I've been like you: I think of the books I own (unread) and can easily (well...) pass a book shop or two. Although I have bought a few books - like on my birthday, well, blame me!!

    My wishlist grows, but I do purge every now and then. It's 120 books long at the moment, and I recently looked, but didn't see how I could purge it any further. But I'm sure I will.

    I've got a wishlist challenge for this year (reading 12 books off the wishlist), but it's not going too well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess all you have to do is 1) buy books from your wishlist and 2) read them before the year ends. Doesn't sound too hard, now does it? ;-)

      Delete
  3. My wishlist isn't too long because I tend to buy books straight away or manage to get review copies...which is why my TBR is so huge! I put more books on around my birthday and xmas because I know people will look there but otherwise it's books I'm not sure about, books I'm waiting for the paperback for or ones that are just too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I remember the first time I saw how big your TBR list is! I was really relieved as mine is slightly smaller (don't ask me why it makes me happy that others are even worse with book hoarding).

      Delete
  4. My wishlist is tiny. I buy books if I want them and only keep them on my wishlist if I am not really 100% certain I want them. It is more a "want to read possibly" list. And because I buy almost exclusively used books or swap them, I can afford it. I don't even follow new releases and wait for books to come out. My reading is mostly backlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to either win books (ha) or to get them used as well. Call me Scrooge McBookish. I do follow certain new releases by fav authors though - those books are usually keepers while others will be shared/given away after I read them.

      Delete
  5. I have a towering TBR and recently put myself on another ban recently. One I intend to keep this time (like all the others).

    My wishlist... well I don't really have one written down but I might start one. Quite often the reason I buy books is so I don't forget about it later.

    I do have a big to-read list on GR which contains books I don't own as well as those I do. But I'm not always 100% serious about those it's just that there are some books I get recommended and some that sound vaguely interesting so they end up on there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I put every book onto my wishlist which sounds even remotely interesting, my own would be a lot longer too. I guess with my tiny wishlist I'm just trying to compensate for my huge TBR piles, oh well.

      Delete
  6. I'm thinking one of the books you are waiting for is the new Pratchett, which comes out just about as your ban goes away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the PB of "Snuff" will be out in June, and the HC of "The Long Earth" as well, but you know me, I'll be waiting for the paperback for the latter.

      Delete
  7. I have about 100 books on my wishlist, which is quite a lot for me, but that does not mean I will buy them all eventually... I am trying to establish a pattern: two books read will allow me to order a new one... it is quite difficult to stick to it these days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This reminds me that I need some kind of follow-up rule after my ban ends - like only to buy a certain amount of books per month or some such. I still have time to think about this though. Oh decisions!

      Delete
  8. I have both a 15-book TBR pile and a 92-book wishlist.I will buy all the books on my wishlist. Most of them I will find at used book sales. The rest I can get from Amazon with credit card points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seriously impressed by the smallish size of your TBR pile. I don't even remember the last time my own was only around 15 books, oh my.

      Delete
  9. I guess a little bit of both. I go through lists now and then (like I would be cleaning my apartment or old files on my disk) and ask myself if I will really have enough time to read them all, then I delete all "maybes". otherwise I feel overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My TBR includes my wishlist, books I already have and books I can borrow from the local library. If you get rid of the last two - I have only about 200 books on my wishlist :)))
    Can't say it bothers me, because like you I try to win books I want or find them at real bargain prices. I would find it really hard to justify buying a book at full price while I still have around 100-120 books waiting to be read :))) so wishlists don't really make an impact on my buying habits. They are just to remind me of the books I might be interested in. Great topic as always, Birgit!

    ReplyDelete