June 20, 2012

Beyond the Shelf - Typing Tests

By now we've established that being a blogger inevitably means that you need to be comfy with letting your fingers dance across the keyboard. You may either use the Columbus method (you discover a key and land on it) or the trusty 10-finger-method. Me? Don't mean to brag, but I'm using three fingers to discover keys like an explorer with a premonition.

Typing Test

Let me tell you I have no idea whether this is a good result or not. I'm obviously a whole lot faster when just typing away my own random thoughts compared to the weird combination of words you need to type in this particular test.

So what's a curious mind to do? Find a site that offers a text that makes a wee bit more sense, of course! On Typing Test you can choose not only the language (I took English), the length of the test (I picked 1 minute), and different excerpts (I went for The Wizard of Oz). Now let's fess up and share what my result was here ...

Now that's not bad, isn't it? And as it turns out the results are pretty similar too.

How about yourself? Ready to test just how speedy your fingers fly over the keyboard? Please feel free to share your results.

12 comments:

  1. I just took the test and was upwards of 94 words per minute, but dropped down to 88 for my three mistakes. (I went back and fixed quite a few as I typed, but a few I just let go.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *stunned silence*
      Now that's impressive!

      Delete
  2. Last time I took a typing test I was at around 80 WPM so I tried this one just for the heck of it and got a score of 78 WPM with 0 errors. Not too shabby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm ging to have to try this! (Not right now, got cats to feed!). Last time I was tested (12 years ago) I think I was around 60 wpm, which was good enough to get me a temping job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was in high school, we had to do a minimum of 45 WPM to pass the business course. I struggled to get to 45. Today, I'm at around 80 WPM, (too tired to try this test). I was always in awe of my Mom, she had a pin from high school that she was at 150 WPM, and that was on an old typewriter (not the electric kind either!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bow down to the magical fingers of your Mom. I mean, I am already impressed by anyone who's faster than me, but 150WPM must be some kind of speed record!

      Delete
  5. I type all the time- i work in a bookstore and write all the time when not here- I'm at 122. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not bad my dear, not bad at all! You're twice as fast as yours truly!!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Don't hide!! I am apparently pretty lame myself with 60WPM *blushes*.

      Delete
  7. 57 wpm with the first, 51 with the second. So, slightly slower than you, but fast enough for me. My ambitions re typing speed are not too great, :).

    ReplyDelete