June 3, 2012

Tea & Books Reading Challenge

Another month went by and another layer of dust has accumulated on top of all those chunksters we often ignore on our shelves. Or maybe not?

Me, as designated head tea brewer in this challenge have now read the third tome for this challenge. This time I went for a book in the German language. Don't be shocked now! German is my mother tongue, and I've been neglecting reading in favor of books in their original English version this past year. All despite the fact that I've got plenty of German novels in my TBR piles. Well, let's just say it comes in quite handy that I own several 700+ pages books from German authors, so obviously I couldn't even go for the English version if I wanted to.

That said, these are the books I read so far ...
The Passage (Justin Cronin)
Under The Dome (Stephen King)
Ausgebrannt (Andreas Eschbach)

This means I'm half way to my chosen Earl Grey Aficionado level. Next book I've got lined up is once again by German author Andreas Eschbach with the title Eine Billion Dollar. This one is actually the heavier one with almost 900 pages though the page count won't distract me while reading due to the fact that instead of page numbers there's sort of a money countdown up to those one billion dollars. I hope to get that one read in June. Never hurts to be a step ahead with those intimidatingly thick books, youldn't you agree?

Five months have passed and I know many of you've been doing plenty of reading for this challenge, while a selected few still need to get into second gear. Let's just say, if you haven't even got started now, it's time to get a move on. Seriously. Don't make me get all preachy now ... but I will if the carrot doesn't work!

Fess up, folks! How are you faring so far? Ready for an upgrade? Ready to give up? Let me know.

17 comments:

  1. I am one third into my first (of two) books, so not too bad. What carrot exactly are you talking about? Not saying I want a reward but now that you mention a carrot, I am getting curious, :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I made you curious? Good. Let's just say it's a very tasty carrot, hehe!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the half way mark! I'm still sitting at 6 of 6(8) and I'm planning on reading Anna Karenina this month so that'll bump me up to 7 and make my upgrade official :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, book six is awesome! Some days I think if it weren't for your admirable reading morale I'd be still stuck with book two myself.

      Delete
    2. Just finished book seven, Anna Karenina, this past week and it was surprisingly wonderful. So that makes it official that I'm upgrading to the 8 level. Only James Joyce's Ulysses left on my list - not daunting at all... :-D

      Delete
    3. Oh come on, you've read seven books already what's one more? Though I do get the daunting part of your last book! :-D

      Delete
  3. I am struggling with the first volume of 1Q84, not because I don't like it, but because the writing is sooo small, and I always feel the need to return to other books... but I am sure I will finish the whole 3 by the end of the year :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you need reading glasses! Just teasing. It's kind of funny though because all my tomes for the challenge are in rather small print too. Makes you wonder how many more pages there would be if it were all in "normal" print.

      Delete
  4. I have read 3 out of 4 so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done! And I saw that you're really happy about having signed up for the Dean Koontz challenge as well, yay!

      Delete
  5. I am stuck on book #3 - Bleak House by Charles Dickens. The end of June is half thorough the year, so I hope to finish this book by the end of the month. It has been a slog so far though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at it this way, you've already finished two which is great, so with a bit of luck and willpower you'll finish your Charles Dickens tome this month!

      Delete
  6. I've completed 3 out of 4. I may bump up to the next level but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I like the sound of that! But you're right, I am considering upgrading myself, but first I want to reach the level I signed up for, obviously.

      Delete
  7. Hi Birgit, I just discovered the challenge today and would love to sign up. On the sign up page it says to leave a comment on here so my details are:

    Name: Faith
    Blog: StudentSpyglass.com
    Level: Earl Grey Aficionado (though I may think of upgrading later)

    My commitment post is here
    http://studentspyglass.com/2012/06/15/readingchallenges

    Thank you so much for the time and thought you've put into this, I can't wait to take part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added you to the list! Happy reading!

      Delete
  8. I'm behind at the moment - I've read 2 out of six books. But the second one was Hilary Mantel's A Place of Greater Safety, which I'd had unread for a few years so at 872 pages I think that was an achievement! My post on that book is here.

    ReplyDelete