June 25, 2012

A Writer's Life - Will I make it to the big screen?

Probably not. My best chances for fame on the screen may be ending up in the short news during the evening newscast after flying into a homicidal rage because some other driver wrongly assumed he had priority in traffic. Anyway.

There are quite a number of movies about authors out there, actually. Some about real-life authors. Some about fictional authors. What's the first thing that comes to mind in the latter case? Why, Stephen King, of course. With movies such as Stand by Me, Misery and The Shining he sure left his mark not only in book form. Then there are movies about authors themselves, and I must admit I don't actually recall ever seeing one of those. In fact, I had to google this topic as to provide you with a couple movies that qualify ... such as Capote, The Hours or Becoming Jane.

To be honest, I don't think these movies would be something I'd enjoy. It hurts me to say this, but it'd probably be more fun to watch Vin Diesel demolish cars than exploring the minds of authors on the screen. I mean, I read a lot of great things about the above mentioned movies (not the Stephen King ones which are awesome, the other ones), but somehow they don't seem to be up my alley. Maybe I just picked the wrong examples for this post then, who knows. Or maybe fictitious authors simply have more appeal to me, because ... well, I dunno, they just do.

Either way, I'd love to hear from you and which movies about authors, real or not, you personally love and can wholeheartedly recommend to me! I'm willing to give them a try ... if they're on free TV some time, that is. Ready? Aaaaand Action!

1 comment:

  1. Henry and June came to my mind. It's about Henry Miller and his mistress(es). I remember I enjoyed watching it.

    ReplyDelete