July 14, 2012

Pajama Musings - It's time to ... read!

When I was still a little kid my Saturdays sure looked different compared to my adult life. Long gone are the times when I would wake up, grab myself a cup of chamomile tea (please, don't judge me, I've had strange tastes as a wee child) and head back to bed where I would then indulge in a book and have a more substantial breakfast aka some chocolate. The good old times! Makes me pretty nostalgic just thinking about it *sigh*.

Copyright by Dormia Mattress 

Honestly, if you asked me now when's the last time that I read a book in the morning, or just generally before lunch, I'd have to think long and hard ... oh wait, when I spent a day at a spa just recently I did read some pages in between going for a swim and munching on a carrot. Alright then, it wasn't a carrot, but I did swim. Six laps to be exact. I realize that doesn't sound like a lot, especially considering that I had to take a break after each lap, but seeing how I am averse to anything sportive it's really not too bad. Anyway.

I still remember how much fun it was to lazily stay in bed all day long, just reading. Grocery shopping and doing the laundry? The parent's job. And I think the best days were the ones after Christmas, when I had unwrapped my presents, you know, the book shaped ones, of which I always tried to catch a glimpse through the gift wrap (in most cases to no avail despite my bookish X-ray vision) to get an idea which books exactly I might be getting (obviously it was too hard to wait for the unwrapping ceremony once everything was put underneath the tree - I've never been know for my patience, really).

These days I read mostly in the evening, sometimes in the afternoon, pretty much depending on the rest of my schedule. Delving into a book right after breakfast? I wish. And how decadent this even sounds. Long story short, in the next few weeks I will try to squeeze in some quality reading time early in the day. A Saturday morning dedicated to reading translates into a Friday afternoon involved in such mundane tasks as stocking up on broccoli and toilet paper. Getting out the vacuum cleaner will be demoted to last task of the day on a Sunday evening. My neighbor's are gonna love that!

How about you? When do you read? And most importantly, did you get involved in some morning reading fun as a kid yourself? Please share!

13 comments:

  1. When I was a kid I would spend my whole weekend reading - from the moment I woke up until bed-time. School holidays were even better - endless days reading on my bed, on the floor, at the library - bliss!

    Now I squeeze it in whenever I can - but my boyfriend is a heavy sleeper so most Saturday and Sunday mornings I read uninterrupted for a few hours either in bed or on the sofa until he emerges, then we go and do all the grown up stuff! Every day I read on my commute (1/2 hour each way), and in the evening usually a couple of hours after dinner - I'm not a TV watcher.

    But wow I would love to go back to those weekends where I lost myself in a book and didn't have to do all those grownup things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, I rarely watch TV these days and rather snuggle up in bed with a good book!

      Delete
  2. Anytime I can! I have to drive to work, so no commuter reading for me :-(
    I have been known to have whole weekends reading, with breaks only for essentials...and feeding cats. Yes, I missed meals.
    This week I read in the bathroom first thing in the morning before going to work. Luckily I got up early, so I wasn't late!
    For quite some time, I simply didn't read at all, or buy books, because if there were unread books in the house I had to sit down and read them until they were all read. Didn't I?
    Right now, I'm reading on my kindle whilst washing up...as well as surfing!
    The kindle is great - reading whilst eating is so much easier! My Mum brought us up not to read at the table, but a few years ago I realised that I was grown up and as I live alone, I could do what I like!! LOL, saying that reminded me that I ate breakfast alone as a child and would read yesterday's paper over breakfast!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're reading on your Kindle while washing up and surfing the internet? Now that's what I call multi-tasking!!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful post, Birgit! Took me right back to childhood! :) Can't say that my Saturdays were different from any other day, - I was still reading every single moment of my time. Nothing changed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sweet nostalgia! When it comes to reading I really wish I was a child again ...

      Delete
  4. Ah, those were the days. Now I mostly read at nights and in the odd afternoon. But with two boys jumping around and killing each other it is not quite as much fun as it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uhm ... two boys killing each other should make for rather quiet times or am I missing something? ;-P

      Delete
    2. It would if I was allowed to let them finish the job. You might not know this but as a mother you usually feel like you should stop the massacre instead of encouraging it.

      Delete
    3. I'm an only child. And I have no kids. So sibling-related massacres are nothing I'm familiar with. ;-P

      Delete
  5. I'm a student, so I can set my schedule more or less as I like. if I don't have anywhere to go in the morning, I read a book when I sip my morning cup of coffee. if time allows it, I repeat the routine after lunch. I also read a little before going to sleep. when on the road, I always have my kindle with me, so I can read whenever I have to wait for something.

    how do you manage to read so many books if you only read in the evenings? are you a fast reader? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true I mostly read in the evenings, but also quite a bit on the weekends. You never see me watching TV though, so that explains the time I have at hand for my beloved books!

      Delete
    2. I almost never watch TV. Only when I'm ironing, but not the regular TV program. I much prefer to read in my free time.

      Delete